yes another is my beer ruined???!!! lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurlly

Reaction score
recipe was BierMuncher Blue Balls.
except i couldnt get bitter orange, so i zested 4 oranges and proceeded.

og was a little low (first ag) 1.036
right now 4th day in 2nd 1.012

the taste......can only be described as weiner water!!!
yup, boil 4, 5 hotdogs....cool, thats what i have.

by no means am i giving up, but any idea of whats going on??

thanks

something went wrong with you mash / sparging would be my guess with that low OG, i had a brew that was 20 points off and decided to add 2 lbs of DME to the fermentor, boiled it up with just enough water... got it good and hot, caramelized it a little, added some color and flavor (not my intention) and am waiting to see how it will end up... but I went form a 3.2% to 5.4% potential ABV :)

just let it ride and chalk it up as a learning experience. odds are you will wind up with a good, drinkable first home brew.

Revvy will probably hit you with the famous thread

I have only used real zest and have had good results, but my second Wit had a bad taste that did not go away. Couldn't quite place what it was, but it was undrinkable. I ended up pouring it out so I could use the keg. I believe hotdog taste is a known off-flavor and a sign of a particular problem.

I could not find this particular problem, but I have heard of it before. Here is a page from How to Brew - By John Palmer describing different off-flavors:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Back