First yeast starter, hows it look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesserizzo

Reaction score
So this is my first yeast starter, and I'm not so sure about the final product. This is after almost 24 hours in the fridge, and it looks to me like there's a thin band of yeast at the bottom, but a lot of yeast might still be in suspension.

IMG_20130116_170606.jpg

Why is it in the fridge? I normally do mine at room temps.

EDIT: ^^^ What gear said above! The starter should have been maintained on your counter for 24 hours (at least) prior to cold crashing in your fridge.

It still looks like the yeast is dropping out, which might just be attributed to the type of yeast you used. I'd say it looks good and give it a little while longer to really flocculate. I assume that's a large (1+ gallon) pickle jar??

Yeah, sorry, didn't explain good. It was at 70F for I think 4 days. Then into the fridge to cold crash and decant.

It still looks like the yeast is dropping out, which might just be attributed to the type of yeast you used. I'd say it looks good and give it a little while longer to really flocculate. I assume that's a large (1+ gallon) pickle jar??

OK, that's pretty much what I was wondering, if it would flocculate more with more time in the fridge. It's a 2.5 gallon PET container from a super old beer making kit my mom found in a thrift store.

The strain of yeast your using plays a huge role in how long it will take to cold crash the starter, or for your beer to clear out. Some strains are highly flocculant like wyeast 1968 ESB, others not so much like wyeast 1010 american wheat.

Back