Belgian dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a dubbel for the colder months soon. Would it be better to leave in secondary after fermentation or just bottle to age? How long is too long in secondary?

I like to do a little bit of both. Rack from your primary to the secondary to let it clear and then bottle it about a month after that.

I prefer bulk-aging. I'd rack to secondary or a keg and let it sit for a long while, personally.

Is there a reason that you prefer that over bottle conditioning?

You may get more homogenous bottles by ageing in secondary, plus it takes up less storage room.

Since a big beer like that will be months before it's really good, if you have a (glass) secondary to age in, that's how I do it.

If you have the capability, you can also lager Belgians, it smoothes them out.

I don't use a secondary. I ferment about 2-3 weeks then keg and drink. If you do a good job on the ferment it will be ready to drink straight away.

Since that original post I've switched to kegs. Those of you that keg, if I rack to the keg, purge with co2, how long can I leave it before tapping if left at room temp?

Since that original post I've switched to kegs. Those of you that keg, if I rack to the keg, purge with co2, how long can I leave it before tapping if left at room temp?

As long as you want. Think of the keg as a big bottle. You can leave it in there as long as you'd leave beer in a bottle. It will age. Aging is good for some beers and not so good for others.

Back