Strong off smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piazzon12

Reaction score
I bottled my cider today and noticed it had an off smell... kindof smelled like cloves to me, but I don't like clove so to me it's a bad smell. It didnt taste bad but the smell kindof ruined the experience. I didnt use any spices or anything.

This is a second batch that was stared using the lees leftover after bottling my first batch of Ed Wort's. The first batch used commerical apple juice (which turned out great), while the second batch used cider. I am using champagne yeast.

Could this smell be caused by using the leftover lees from the first batch? Or could it be caused by the fact that the second batch fremented at a cooler temperature and at a slower rate?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Adam

Not really certain, but cooler temperature and at a slower rate usually means fewer esters so less smells.
Is fermentation completly finished and the cider clear? I am thinking that maybe the yeast did not finish conditioning the cider.

Certain stains of yeast will develop clove esters at lower temps, but mostly Bavarian or Hefeweizen strains. What yeast were you using?

Back