What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda liked that shock top honey beer. I mean it wasn't my favorite but I would definantly drink it again.

Sent from my iPhone

I kinda liked that shock top honey beer. I mean it wasn't my favorite but I would definantly drink it again.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah my brother liked it too. I guess it has to do with the fact I don't like honey. At least it was free though since he works for the local A-B distributer.

Never had anything from them directly, but I like Prairie Somewhere which is a collaboration with Prairie Ales. I actually think I still have 2 bottles in storage right now.

That is why i look for a date on IPA's been burned too many times and thats probably why i rarely buy IPAs anymore

Jester king would be another.

Jester King is a brewery, not a beer. Care to be more specific?

The fact that you didn't name a particular beer and, instead, seem to dislike an entire brewery (which makes really good beer) is curious.

As someone suggested earlier, you likely don't like sours and farmhouse ales. In that case, you may as well say, "I like stuff that I like." That would be just as insightful.

One of Trader Joe's vintage ales. I think it was the 2012 vintage... or 2013's. It was the first beer I've poured out. I didn't want to pour it out either. I tried it 3-4 different times, letting it sit, get to different temperatures, but nope, it was bad.

Also had a terribly metallic Hale's 12th can. That was only the second beer I've poured out.

True. I live 94 miles from the brewery and have sadly never stepped in the door. Every time I drive by, I am in a hurry to get to the beach or to get back :-(

You really should make the time. They often have taproom only releases (100% Barrel DBA on nitro! :rockin:) and some pretty good food. Worth even just a quick drop in for a beer before hitting the hills to get back to the valley.

New worst beer ever. At least I could finish the Kirkland junk. My first ever drain pour was 559 Fig Garden Stout by W Brewing in Clovis. I can't say I wasn't warned. FDA or somebody needs to crack down on them because I am pretty sure there are toxic levels of cleaning solution in those bottles.

There should be multiple versions of this thread. A thread for "expensive beers I didn't like" one for "specialty beers I didn't like" one for "standard brews that don't make the cut or had a bad batch" and then a TRUE "don't drink these beers, seriously, don't drink them"

If you didn't like Creme Brulee or some Pumpkin beer because it's not your thing, that's fine, but not really the worst beer. If you dropped $15-30 on a beer and it wasn't very good, that sucks bad, but not really the worst beer. If you don't like IPAs, not sure why that is even here. If you drank one of the coors/A-B/macro craft beer pretenders and it wasn't good, no duh Sherlock.

Now, if you can point out a specific IPA, Pale, etc. that isn't good and you usually drink IPAs, Pales, etc. than that needs to be shared. And someone needs to try and agree or contradict you.

And if you can point out a certain beer that should not be tried under any circumstance, that is what really belongs.

For example, there is a line of beers from overseas at our bottleshop that advertise how strong they are. on Untappd they came up as brewed by S.C. Martins; Old Superior Ale Beer With Me, Super Brew 15, etc. Someone bought these two just because they were strong and cheap. Crazy foreign advertising like they won the national romanian brew competition and were allowed to brew it mass scale and ship overseas or some completely made up lies like that. They both tasted like old saki. 5 guys couldn't even finish an ounce of each of the 12-16 oz bottles. How there is anyone that has given it more than a 1 cap rating on untappd, I have no idea. If you have rated this more than half cap, I unfriend you.

If you read any posts this year, I hope this post is the one. And it saves you from even trying these two beers if someone else buys them, let alone buy them yourself. Truly qualify as horrible and I would drink any of the beers you guys have listed and/or poured out before I drink these two again.

And if you want worst commercial beer, Bud Light Lime is horrible. As was that Tequiza shlt A-B put out awhile back. Not sure why people drink bud light lime. I don't mind a macro while playing softball or wiffleball, but beer with fake lime juice, come on man.

As for actual craft beers that have failed, I had a cranberry stout by Westport Brewing Co. at the Vancouver WA Winter brewfest in Dec 2012 that was my first ever brewfest pour out. And I just had a Shama Lama Simcoe by Riverbend Brewing at the Bend SMaSH fest last week that was my second ever pour out. The first got horrible ratings from everyone that tried it, so I tried another Westport beer the next year and it was not awesome either. But I assume they aren't completely horrible, just that craberry stout was a "never should have served this" beer. The second got some okay ratings from others, but to me it tasted like ruined homebrew full of tannins. I couldn't get over the taste and got 2nd and 3rd opinions and all were "pour that out". But I hope to try some more of them this year to erase that opinion.

Mr. Pineapple Iv never seen a pineapple beer so I was curious but it's basically expensive Cours light

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And if you want worst commercial beer, Bud Light Lime is horrible. As was that Tequiza shlt A-B put out awhile back. Not sure why people drink bud light lime. I don't mind a macro while playing softball or wiffleball, but beer with fake lime juice, come on man.

As for actual craft beers that have failed, I had a cranberry stout by Westport Brewing Co. at the Vancouver WA Winter brewfest in Dec 2012 that was my first ever brewfest pour out. And I just had a Shama Lama Simcoe by Riverbend Brewing at the Bend SMaSH fest last week that was my second ever pour out. The first got horrible ratings from everyone that tried it, so I tried another Westport beer the next year and it was not awesome either. But I assume they aren't completely horrible, just that craberry stout was a "never should have served this" beer. The second got some okay ratings from others, but to me it tasted like ruined homebrew full of tannins. I couldn't get over the taste and got 2nd and 3rd opinions and all were "pour that out". But I hope to try some more of them this year to erase that opinion.

Are you going to the brewfest at the VFW in August?

Who here believes flat tire's quality has plummeted since its national release some years back?? I can't even drink the stuff anymore - used to be my favorite. I don't think its my tastebuds that have changed.

Who here believes flat tire's quality has plummeted since its national release some years back?? I can't even drink the stuff anymore - used to be my favorite. I don't think its my tastebuds that have changed.

I think they have I still enjoy my fair share the tire

The worst...ever

pale_stale_ale_2321.jpg

I don't think they are as good as they used to be, but at most of the gatherings I go to, they are still the best beer in the bucket.

Ten Fidy imperial stout. It's rated high but I could never get a whole can down. It's way too sticky/sweet and the after taste is just horrid IMO. It's boozy which is fine but it's not covered up well because strong flavors just make it more intense.

St. Arnolds "Elissa" and No label Brewery's "Jalapeno". Both are local breweries here in Houston.
I just can't drink either of those beers though. The others made by those companies are delicious though!

I think they have I still enjoy my fair share the tire

Yeah, I can definitely believe that it's not as good as it used to be, but "can't even drink the stuff anymore" bad? Wow. It's hardly my go-to beer, but I still drink it from time to time (and enjoy it), especially in bars where Fat Tire is the token craft beer option and everything else is macro-lagers.

Unimpressive maybe, but bad? Oh well, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. :mug:

St. Austell Brewery - Proper job Powerfully hopped. I don't think they did a proper job at powerfully hopping it. Fair enough, I probably did not do it a favor by having some serious hop-bombs prior to drinking it, but if the bottle says "Powerfully hopped" I expect a hop bomb.

There should be multiple versions of this thread. A thread for "expensive beers I didn't like" one for "specialty beers I didn't like" one for "standard brews that don't make the cut or had a bad batch" and then a TRUE "don't drink these beers, seriously, don't drink them"

If you didn't like Creme Brulee or some Pumpkin beer because it's not your thing, that's fine, but not really the worst beer. If you dropped $15-30 on a beer and it wasn't very good, that sucks bad, but not really the worst beer. If you don't like IPAs, not sure why that is even here. If you drank one of the coors/A-B/macro craft beer pretenders and it wasn't good, no duh Sherlock.

Now, if you can point out a specific IPA, Pale, etc. that isn't good and you usually drink IPAs, Pales, etc. than that needs to be shared. And someone needs to try and agree or contradict you.

And if you can point out a certain beer that should not be tried under any circumstance, that is what really belongs.

Co-sign.

I got a bad craft-brew review from a few "Commercial lager" people.
Me: Oh, I heard about that place, what was the beer like?
Girl: I didn't like it, it tasted too much like beer.

I don't get along with most beer people:

I don't like hops. I think you're a liar if you like them. Who would eat something bitter? Nobody. You're a liar.

Moving on;
Fat Tire tastes like someone put a bit of DME in a PBR. That's it. It sucks now.

Moving on;
I have not enjoyed a single beer from Stone brewing, Rogue or Flying Dog...

Come at me.

I don't like hops. I think you're a liar if you like them. Who would eat something bitter? Nobody. You're a liar.

Moving on;
Fat Tire tastes like someone put a bit of DME in a PBR. That's it. It sucks now.

Moving on;

Come at me.

Jesus is an internet troll now? Wow. Strange days indeed.

Moving on;

Moving on;

Come at me.

I don't like people either, I like Hops (Sierra Nevada Torpedo), Fat tire does suck.....

I had a fat tire the other day for the first time in a couple years and thought it was pretty good. Maybe because I was in the mountains with slim choices, or maybe there's just way too much hate in this thread!

People who dont know anything about different hopps shouldn't comment...go learn something..contribute some knowledge or move the heck on kid

Back