30hrs No Frementation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby1212

Reaction score
I put my 3rd batch in primary yesterday and it has not started bubbling yet! I pitched WLP001 at 78 degrees (too high I know). Yeast tube was out of the refridgerator for over 3 hours so it was at room temp. I aerated by splashing through a strainer into primary and stirring and splashing with my SS spoon and topping off with water that was not boiled.

I brewed the same batch for my 2nd and did everything exactly the same except the pitching temp was closer to 70.

One difference I can think of was I bought my supplies during the day and had to keep it in my van for half a day and forgot about the yeast in the bag until about 8pm that night. Would that hurt the yeast? Other that those 2 things, which the more I think about it are pretty significant, everything else was the same.

Any insite into what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Bob

I just did my first extract this last Sat. at 9pm PST. Well, it's 9:21pm (48 hours later) here now and guess what, no activity. I'm freaking out here. I read this site for months before making my first attempt, and followed all instructions to the T when I did, yet I'm seeing way more lag than I would have expected. I'd love to hear what people have to say about your situation, 'cause you and I are on the same boat, brother.

-Chris

bob,
I see you live in Oregon, so im guessing that your car did not get extremely hot during the time the yeast was left in it...so that should not be a problem. And pitching at 78 should not be a problem also.
Some things that come to mind:
whats the date on the yeast, they could be quite old....and mostly dead.

actually, thats about the only thing i can thiink of.

I would pitch some more yeast asap and keep the temp. as constant as possible.

To both of you:

Give the yeast a gentle stir while going to the LHBS and getting another packet of good yeast. Make a starter or rehydrate and pitch it in. But....keep in mind yeast is aliving, breathing thing....each batch will be different. It may take another day or so. Don't worry....infection would not cause it to just "not start". Just dead yeast may do that. Pitch more and see what happens.

I'd go and give your primary a good minute shake right now. If you are using buckets, pop the top and see if there are signs of fermentation first. You may simply have a leak thats venting CO2.

Good advice. Although it is a bit counter-intuitive, a fast start means the yeast didn't do much growing and multiplying, so the overall fermentation may not be as good. Also, take a close look & see if a krausen is forming. Even if it isn't very large, a layer of foam means the yeast is working. And there is always the chance that you don't have a good seal on the fermenter, so the CO2 is escaping.

But, always have a couple packets of dried yeast in the fridge.

Did you both use liquid yeast? Did you make starters? If not this could explain the slow start. As others have said, swirl your primary and go get some dry yeast (just in case).

In the future, use a starter to reduce the lag time, although as David said (always listen to David) fast starts are not the ultimate goal.

I didn't mean to hijack bobby's thread, but yes, I did use liquid yeast (White Labs) from more beer which is about 15 minutes away, so I know it didn't get messed up in transport.

I didn't use a starter because the 'test tube' instructions didn't call for it unless there was an extremely high OG, or the yeast was old, etc. I guess I've learned my lesson not to follow directions too closely. :cross:

-Chris

We have another prime example for making a starter before brewing...sorry to rub it in.

Make a starter several days before you brew. Then you'll know your yeast is good. Now all you've done is waste a few days (AFTER). Don't waste those days again...make a starter!;)

bassplayrr said:
Is that a Dune quote?

You know, I always thought that riding a giant worm would be a bad idea. What if you sneezed or something and dropped your hooks? Man, that'd suck.:off:

Anyway, I'd say get some dry yeast and chuck that in there.

Thanks for all the replies. As of 5pm Pacific time I have fermentation!

JadedDog I thought starters were only for dry yeast? I think in the future I will keep a few packets of dry yeast handy.

Is there a recommendation for an all aroud general purpose dry yeast?

Lesson learned. I tossed some dry yeast into my current brew, so hpefully that will take off now. For my next brew (to be started this Sat.) I went ahead and made a liquid yeast starter (1000ml) so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for making this thread, bobby, so I didn't feel alone. ;)

-Chris

When I first started brewing I never made starters... I soon found the benefits outweigh the 15 minutes it takes to cook up some water, dump a third of a cup of DME in, cool, and pitch.

Starters are for liquid and dry yeast--maybe even dry yeast more, since you're trying to raise your cell count and dry yeast usually comes with less cells. Yeah, always do 'em.

Whelk said:
Starters are for liquid and dry yeast--maybe even dry yeast more, since you're trying to raise your cell count and dry yeast usually comes with less cells. Yeah, always do 'em.

I believe the opposite is actually true, dry yeast packets contain more cells than liquid smack packs or vials. Dry yeast is simply roused by placing it in some warm water 15 minutes or so before brewing just to check that it is active.

Starters are prepared at least 24 hours in advance for liquid yeast since they have fewer cells than the dry packets and the starter helps propagate cells prior to pitching. For detailed instructions on making a starter I would recommend Palmer's site www.howtobrew.com.

Back