rye wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i've been thinking about this one for a while. it's essentially an imperial version of my rye altbier with the american ale yeast.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.24 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 21.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 63.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9.50 lb       Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)             Grain        50.45 %       
3.75 lb       Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        19.92 %       
2.50 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        13.28 %       
1.75 lb       Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        9.29 %        
1.00 lb       Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                   Grain        5.31 %        
0.33 lb       Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM)                Grain        1.75 %        
7.00 oz       Select Spalt [2.60 %]  (60 min)           Hops         52.4 IBU      
1 Pkgs        Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)    Yeast-Ale

thoughts?

I would add a lb or more of simple sugars myself. That rye alone is going to 'nectarize' the body of your 'wine'...add that to the high gravity and any possible under attenuation and you could be looking at beer syrup. In short, I would take measures to dry this out some. this is based on my experience with low gravity roggenbiers too. Rye seems to add a ton of 'thick' in large proportions....

I made a rye wine @ 1.116 that finished at 1.020 (34% rye malt, 4% crystal 20, remainder american pale 2 row, plus 1.5lbs demerera sugar). I recommend that you do a beta glucan rest, because this beer has tremendous mouthfeel.
I think the biscuit malt is a little superfluous, as the rye is going to add lots of bready character. I also think that 7 oz of bittering hops is a damn shame. You're going to lose a lot of beer to that, not to mention spend a lot more than you'd need to. I used us goldings at 90, 30 and 10, and mine only had 5.5 oz total.

definitely a good call on the simple sugars. i hadn't really thought about how sweet the rye is going to be.

as for the hops, i know, i just really love the combination of spalt and rye. i might have to mix in a neutral high alpha hop. i have a lot of warrior on hand.

the spalt i have access to are actually higher AA than the ones in beersmith as well.

modified:

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9.50 lb       Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)             Grain        50.45 %       
3.75 lb       Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        19.92 %       
2.50 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        13.28 %       
1.75 lb       Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        9.29 %        
0.33 lb       Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM)                Grain        1.75 %   
1.00 lb       Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM)               Sugar        5.31 % 

0.50 oz       Warrior [15.80 %]  (60 min)               Hops         21.9 IBU      
3.00 oz       Select Spalt [3.90 %]  (60 min)           Hops         32.5 IBU      
1.00 oz       Select Spalt [3.90 %]  (10 min)           Hops         3.9 IBU       

1 Pkgs        Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)    Yeast-Ale

Latest posts

Back