Boil Kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teewinot

Reaction score
While not technically a beginner, I'm definitely not advanced. My question is in regard to the size of the boil kettle.

Is there a size that is too big? For instance if I had a keggle, would any issues arise if I'm only doing 5 gallon batches in it initially? Hope this is not a stupid question.

Thanks for any input and extra thanks for the GREAT site! :mug:

That is the perfect size

Your preboil volume will be about 7 gallons anyway

Add in some foam from hot break

You are on the right track

a keggle is not too big. As long as you have a burner that will handle it. I would not try fitting a keggle on a stove top.

However there is certainly a size that would be wrong. like if it was so wide that the wort was only a few inches deep. It would boil like mad and caramelize. Conversely a 10' tall pot would require a ladder to add hops and stir it. So yeah if you have a Dr souse pot then not so good.

Thanks guys! That's what I was hoping to hear. I have a friend who works for a distributor who told me he'd keep his eyes open for a retired keg. He said it's rare, but usually a couple times a year they'll have one!

My mom got me a Rubbermaid bev cooler (10gal) for Christmas, so I was hoping to launch my all grain career when all the pieces fall into place.

Thanks again for the quick responses. Cheers :mug:

EDITED: because I spelled "hear" wrong. *******! (I couldn't leave it alone!)

Back