Pumpkin Extract Kit without the Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu_brian

Reaction score
I just brewed my first extract batch, a black ale, and now that the fermentor is free, I'm moving on to my second batch. I already have MW Supplies extract kit for their pumpkin ale, which I never got around to brewing in the fall. Seeing how a pumpkin ale won't be too great for spring drinking, with the ingredients below (not including the pumpkin, brown sugar and spices), what kind of ale would I be brewing and what would the flavor profile be like? Thanks!

Wyeast 1056 Yeast

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Caramel 10L specialty grains

1 oz. Mt. Hood
1 oz. Cascade

Looks like a blonde ale. I'd seriously go ahead and add the pumpkin spices; those beers taste great any time of the year.

Thanks! Just curious, but how did you come up with that? And are there any online recipe creators (not Beersmith) that I could experiment with?

The Blonde Ale? Just by looking at the combination of malt and hops. Golden light extract is mostly 2-row malt with, I think, a small amount of light crystal malt and maybe Carapils. You aren't adding anything darker than 10L, so it's never going to be dark or amber in color. It'll be golden.

Tastybrew.com has a pretty decent online recipe calculator.

I just brewed my first extract batch, a black ale, and now that the fermentor is free, I'm moving on to my second batch. I already have MW Supplies extract kit for their pumpkin ale, which I never got around to brewing in the fall. Seeing how a pumpkin ale won't be too great for spring drinking, with the ingredients below (not including the pumpkin, brown sugar and spices), what kind of ale would I be brewing and what would the flavor profile be like? Thanks!

Wyeast 1056 Yeast

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Caramel 10L specialty grains

1 oz. Mt. Hood
1 oz. Cascade

It's a very blond ale. SRM is 2.

Quickly playing with this I inputed this on Beersmith and got 4.34 abv. OG 44 FG 11. For the hell of it, I put the hops in as Mt Hood for bittering and the Cascade at 5 minutes for aroma. It puts you at the upper limits of the style for ibu's at 27.

Obviously, the hop additions are probably different.

Thanks for all the replies. Wolverine, how do you think the taste would be with the Mt. Hood added at 60 min and the Cascade for the last 5 minutes?

I just added that into beersmith because I thought that might be a typical hop schedule with those two that they gave you. Your recipe sheet should tell how they were planned to be used.
Either way this brew will be very easy drinking. The Mt Hood will give you a mild bitterness and the cascades will give you a slight citrusy aroma.
I think for a blond ale, it should be pretty good.

Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but do you guys think I should add the spices, or would it be somewhat off-putting?

Back