Mashing 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 10 gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of too big are you concerned about?

If you are talking about heat loss...if you preheat your mash tun all the way up you will probably be fine...some people make a floating lid of styrofoam that they set on top of the grain bed if they are worried about it. It helps hold the heat in.

What part of too big are you concerned about?

If you are talking about heat loss...if you preheat your mash tun all the way up you will probably be fine...some people make a floating lid of styrofoam that they set on top of the grain bed if they are worried about it. It helps hold the heat in.

That's a good idea. With that much dead space, I wasn't sure if it would hold the temp..

Yup, what Revvy said. I tried a smaller sized batch in a 10 gallon and it lost heat like crazy. I would try the stryofoam route.

Come to think of it, it might not have been duct tape, but aluminum foil...I'm thinking the glue might not be a good idea in the mash... Just cut a piece of foam to size(less the the ID of the cooler), and get some ultra heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap several layers around it. You'll seal up the foam (which will prevent little crumbles getting in the tun) and the foil will also help hold in heat.

Title says it all. Is a 10 gallon cooler too big?

Grain bed depth??? I thought this when you posted this, no one touched on it. If you batch sparge, I dont know if it matters anyway... but grain bed depth is something to be considered generally.

I swear I once saw one covered in duct tape posted on here...

Um.... Since my MLT is a free 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and it didn't have a lid, I cut out a piece of rigid foam insulation to fit the opening and wrapped it in aluminum foil... I swear I don't remember posting a picture of it though... :eek:

Latest posts

Back