10-gal electric urns in USA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
Hi,

In the UK they have these giant, 40-liter (around 10.6 gallons) water boiler urns that seem like they would be perfect for a single-vessel AG solution. They can be had for around $130-150 over there. But I cannot find any comparable thing in the USA. Does anyone know of a source for these things in the US? Is there just no market for that kind of thing over here because we don't consume massive quantities of tea?

It seems like it would still be cost-effective (compared to getting a 10-gal kettle and a mash tun) to order one of these from the UK, pay for shipping and buy a 5 KW step-up transformer to power it, even though it would roughly double the cost. But it's hard to believe that you can't find a similar product for the US market!

This sounds like an awesome option for heating all your water and using as an HLT. Let me know if you attempt this and how it goes. The whole US power thing though might kill it

Yes, I didn't think of the 30 amp circut that would also be needed. Pretty sure my house doesn't have that (though my office does, I think...)

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, in case anyone has never heard of it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00280ONB2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Judging from the comments, it seems UK homebrewers have already adopted this for a brew vessel. It just seems so perfect, it's frustrating that it's unavailable / probably wouldn't work over here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back