"Did I Ruin My Cider"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas007

Reaction score
I wanted to make a simple hard cider, so I got a gallon of Musselman's and a packet of Montrachet yeast. Fermented in plastic jug. That was four weeks ago, and after getting some actual equipment (Star San, hydrometer, glass jug with airlock and stopper, racking cane and tubing) from my LHBS I decided to try racking to secondary to let it age.

I drank the hydrometer sample I took, and it actually tasted fine. No off-flavors at all, it tasted like a dry white wine, like I'd heard was normal. (Probably better than any of the cheap white wine I've drunk in the past, actually.)

1. Unfortunately, I did notice two dead fruit flies floating on the surface... I racked from under them, but is this likely to cause an infection? Should I just drink the stuff now (it doesn't have much apple flavor, but it tastes decent) or should I let it sit for a few months?

2. Is oxidation likely to be a problem given some splashing occurred?

Thanks...

Since it's only a gallon I would drink sooner rather than later. Now that you have proper equipment you can be more careful next batch.

IMHO it is difficult to establish a proper pipeline with 1 gallon batches. By the time you get done testing and sampling there is little left to age for any lengh of time and that doesn't factor in our impatience to try the brew.

In that case I'll try and bottle them soon... still need a capper, but the LHBS is about 30 minutes away and I might not get there for a few days.

I guess it would be a good idea to pasteurize the bottles to keep any infection from growing, too.

Primed with half a cup of apple juice concentrate and bottled... maybe a bad idea, but maybe 2 weeks won't be long enough for it to become stale/infected. I can hope, anyway.

I'm still not quite sure how to keep it from mixing with air at the boundary between the tubing and the racking cane, though.

I guess I could do that, but I want to avoid it because I have family members who are allergic to sulfites...

That's understandable.......just be careful.......the fact that you understand there is an issue is a bonus. RDAHB and have fun.

Opened the first bottle today, it's nicely carbonated and tastes great. Thanks!

Back