Bayou Propane Burner Boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japansen

Reaction score
Single Propane Burners, High Pressure Propane Burner SP10

I moved to Nigeria a few months ago and brought a bunch of equipment to get back into brewing while I'm down here. It took me a long time to get propane hooked up (they don't use U.S. style connectors here and I've got a setup literally rigged with hoseclamps and superglue).

Today I wanted to just boil some water to make sure that I've got the hardware set up and the propane won't explode and kill me. I was able to light the burner but it wasn't burning very hot. I started with just 3 gallons of water and it was only around 150 degree after 40 minutes. I didn't cover the pot and I know that would make it boil faster, but I can't help but wonder if I've got some other kinds of problems.

I wanted to begin by asking people how long does it take to boil 3, 5, 10, and 15 gallons of water at the start of your batches?

This burner has a rudimentary airflow control. Is it better to have it wide open or "closed"? It doesn't close all the way no matter what. Even the closed position still is about 1/3 open.

I've opened the propane tank all the way and then the valve on the inline regulator that came with the burner all the way. Perhaps I need to turn it down? I can't see the flame element very well with a pot on the burner, but it looks like soft yellow flames, almost like a campfire, rather than the beautiful blue of a nice hot gas flame.

Any advice would be greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

You need to adjust the air baffle so that there is as little orange as possible. Blue it good unless Nigerian propane is different;)

As to how long it takes to boil I have no information but after the boil starts you can turn down the flow of propane until it just keeps the boil going.

Time to boil has so many variables: pot material. pot size, btu of burner, flame height, distance from burner to pot, water starting temperature, volume of water, elevation, dissolved solids in the water...

I realize that there are variables, of course. I'm using a 15 gallon stainless boil pot on the burner linked in the first post. It's rated as a 180K BTU but I don't think I was getting that.

Even though there are variables, I'm curious to know how long it takes people to boil 3 gallons of water. Actually it's unlikely that many people here boil so little, so how about 15 gallons, or whatever it is you usually batch with.

Thanks!

Back