Not so Local LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I hope the HBS I'm going to will be more helpful then my current, closer one. I really like my LHBS, but selection is pretty limited, and this is the kicker, the owner doesn't drink beer! He doesn't even like it!
I didn't realize this until after I had asked his help moving to AG and help with my AG recipe and converting it to what he had. He told me to come to the local club meeting, which I did and was great. Anyway, the reason is that he's a wine guy. He makes and drinks only wine. After I found out I felt like saying, "Well then how can you give me homebrew(beer) advice?"
The store of course sells both wine and beer making products. I will be traveling 40-50 min. instead of 15min but hopefully it will be worth it to be able to get a solid recommendation on how much honey malt in my APA is too much?(which I actually really need the answer to....hint...hint) I guess he doesn't mind because he gave me their business card, and called them to see if they had what I was looking for. He is friendly and nice,etc.....just not so knowing.

Anybody else ever experience this?

Sorry this is so F'ing long. I think its funny though.

I am actually in a very similar situation. The store nearest to me sells beer stuff but specializes in wine. There is another store 30-40 miles away I have heard is good. That is a long way away and with gas prices, it is actually more expensive than $5.99 shipping from AHS. And with Atlanta traffic and being busy this time of year I just can't get up there, may be this summer but it will be online until then.

My LHBS is an upscale liquor store, with about 20 ft of shelf space dedicated to beer and wine making supplies. No base grains only specialty grains. Mostly LME and very limited DME. Small variety of hops. They infrequently restock.
I have in the past taken a clipboard to the LHBS and inventoried their stock; then at home figured out what I could brew with what they have on hand!!!

Wow that sounds just like where I live. there is a winery that has a tasting room down town and they happen to sell homebrew supplies. And have a very small selection of stuff at that. If I want to go to a "Real" HBS I have to drive 50-60min to Indianapolis. Good thing we all have the internet to rely on:D

Back