Stalled Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggierm1

Reaction score
Started an Irish Red Ale on 7/24

Did a 2 gallon boil because that was the biggest pot I had.

Used an Ice bath to lower the temp to around 80 degrees.

Pitched the dry yeast onto the wort (did not do a yeast starter).

OG=1.040

Transferred to Secondary on 7/31. Gravity reading was 1.020

Checked the gravity again on 8/8. Gravity was still 1.020

According to the kit instructions, I should have bottled by then, but the FG was still 1.020

What thoughts do the members have about what my next steps should be?

Should I continue to let it sit another week and then bottle, even if the gravity has not moved?

Should I try to restart fermentation, and if that is the case, how should I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hmm you really only transfer to a secondary when your primary fermentation is complete (and if not totally complete, then very close to). I would agitate it a little bit and let it sit for a few more days. Take another hydrometer reading after that and if it is still 1.020 then taste it. If it is sugary and sweet and perhaps consider pitching some more yeast, if not then bottle it. Also make sure your hydrometer reads what it should for pure water...always good to make sure everything is calibrated.

Hmm you really only transfer to a secondary when your primary fermentation is complete (and if not totally complete, then very close to). I would agitate it a little bit and let it sit for a few more days. Take another hydrometer reading after that and if it is still 1.020 then taste it. If it is sugary and sweet and perhaps consider pitching some more yeast, if not then bottle it. Also make sure your hydrometer reads what it should for pure water...always good to make sure everything is calibrated.

I did agitate it by stirring it back up a few times. I didn't want to overaerate it. Took a hydrometer reading yesterday, and it was down to 1.010. In a couple of days it should be finished. Thanks for the advice.

:rockin:

Back