Diagnosis Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotdane

Reaction score
I have two bines that are not looking great. Does anyone have advice?

This is a cascade that is nice and bushy up to about 5 feet but then there is one bine climbing the rest of the way. The cones are not tightly closed little packages. Instead the cones feel soft and the outter leaves are "open" and curled back. The leaves feel brittle with yellowing at the edges. This picture is about 12 feet off the ground.

SickCascade.jpg

This is a nugget that looks good down low (below 6-7ft) but the leaves on the upper part are curling under and turning yellow at the edges. The leaves feel brittle. This picture is about 10 feet off the ground.

SickNugget.jpg

Thanks in advance

My best guess would be a potassium defficiency.

Doesn't look like disease, but I am no horticulture expert.

Thank you for the prompt reply. It is odd that it could be a nutrient deficiency since my other cascade 3 feet away looks beautiful.

I have seen over-watering and underwatering that can cause those symptoms as well. Tough to diagnose with all of your others doing well in the same conditions. Definitely doesn't look like an infection though. I used to grow tomatoes, and had a similar issue, turned out to be a deficiency. "Fruiting" or "flowering" plants are usually similar. I wish I cold be more help.

Take a good look at them when you harvest and note how the glands look (size and amount) compared to the others. They may turn out to be fine.

I have been paying more attention to soil moisture and it is possible I have been overwatering, though I cannot figure out why only these two plants are stressed.

Have you looked closely at the underside of the leaves in the area of discoloration? Look for mites, whispy webs, etc.

I can find almost any insect on my bines. None are going crazy but there seems to be one or two of everything. Surprisingly this area, high above ground, seems mostly free of insects.

I have added 1tbs of potassium 0-0-60 fertilizer to the soil. How long does it usually take to see results from a nutirent defficiency?

Back