Full Boil vs Partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollykraker

Reaction score
Going to brew my first batch with simple extract kit. Everything I have seen is a lot of kits call for partial boil...with top off water in fermenter.
N00b.... Does partial vs full boil on extract kit change anything ?

Absolutely, a full boil will affect hop utilization and overall make a better beer, ime. Its been discussed extensively on the forum, so I'd recommend doing a search for all the details.

HI, I have made several really good beers using the partial boil and top up method. The hop schedule in the recipe is adjusted for the smaller boil. Also the time it will save you when boiling and cooling is nice. In the summer here its to hot to use my all grain equipment outside, so I do partial boils on my stove. Also, if this is your first brew day it will be nice to start simple. Have fun....

I also do partial boils on most of my beers when i'm using extract as a my base malt. As I don't use any sort of a chiller on my wort, a partial boiled brew with a few gallons of topoff water is just what my beer needs in it's final cooling stages. When I do my cool down, I just set my entire 5 gallon brew pot in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. It'll chill in there for about fifteen minutes until the reading on my thermometer gets below 100 deg. f., and then I pour the wort into my brew bucket and top it off with 2-3 gallons of pre-boiled (then chilled in the fridge) tap water. This usually gets my beer to pitching temperatures pretty quickly for kitchen sink operation.

Reuben1012 said:
HI, I have made several really good beers using the partial boil and top up method. The hop schedule in the recipe is adjusted for the smaller boil. Also the time it will save you when boiling and cooling is nice. In the summer here its to hot to use my all grain equipment outside, so I do partial boils on my stove. Also, if this is your first brew day it will be nice to start simple. Have fun....

Thanks! Oct 21 will be starting ny first batch

BassBeer said:
Absolutely, a full boil will affect hop utilization and overall make a better beer, ime. Its been discussed extensively on the forum, so I'd recommend doing a search for all the details.

Using smart phone at work.. too lazy to search :)

aiptasia said:
I also do partial boils on most of my beers when i'm using extract as a my base malt. As I don't use any sort of a chiller on my wort, a partial boiled brew with a few gallons of topoff water is just what my beer needs in it's final cooling stages. When I do my cool down, I just set my entire 5 gallon brew pot in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. It'll chill in there for about fifteen minutes until the reading on my thermometer gets below 100 deg. f., and then I pour the wort into my brew bucket and top it off with 2-3 gallons of pre-boiled (then chilled in the fridge) tap water. This usually gets my beer to pitching temperatures pretty quickly for kitchen sink operation.

Thanks , this sounds good

Using smart phone at work.. too lazy to search :)

You don't have to search- there are lots of threads in the beginners forum that show up. It's actually easier to read them then to post a new thread. Here's one from a couple of hours ago: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/full-boil-extract-instead-adding-top-off-water-359154/#post4475356

That talks about full boil vs partial boil. Also, keep in mind that by adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil instead of at the beginning can really help with the caramelization type of reactions and make the beer taste better.

Back