Golden Strong Ale Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting JZ's Belgian Golden Strong Ale, and he suggests to pitch in the mid to low sixties and allow the fermentation temps to gradually rise to up to 84. I think the purpose of this is to effectively avoid some of the harsher fusel alcohols but to still get some characteristic esters. I am used to "normal" ales, with one constant fermentation temp. My question is, what kind of temperature schedule is good for this rising fermentation? I set my son of a fermentation chiller to 64 when I pitched and for the first day or so, then bumped it to 68, and then day three set it for 70 degrees. I don't know when to stop limiting the fermentation. I was guessing either to take the brakes off either today or tomorrow to let the carboy self-heat up to the 80s, but like I said I want to ensure I don't get any fusels. Let me know what you guys think about this strange fermentation.

I have always been of the opinion that you should allow the fermentation process to heat itself up. That being said, if you start at 64, it will difficult to get it up to 84 by itself with smaller batches, especially in the winter time. I think that if you get into the mid 70s you will really get the desired flavor profile from the yeast, which is more doable by the naturally exothermic rxn. If you want a more robust yeast profile and you have capability to slowly raise the temp by outside means. A quick glance through "Brew Like a Monk" shows that the beer reaches maximum temperature by day 5 in most cases (including Duvel, the classic Golden Strong).

I think I will back off with my Son of a fermentation chiller. I'll keep it in there and take out the ice jugs. This is almost day 4 now so I think I can start to warm it up.

I pitched that yeast at 66*F, day 2 at 68*F, day 3 at 72*F, day 4+ at 76*F. It was slow to attenuate, I'm sure it would have finished much sooner if I would have warmed it up to 80*F. Even with that it was very very clean. I will ferment even warmer next time I use this yeast.

My ramp on this style with this yeast is a little faster than you are doing. I usually hit my peak temp of 78-82 for strong belgians at between 72 and 96 hours. Time eases any fusels and by week four or five when I bottle there is no hotness.

I use heat to get up to temp. I wonder if natural temp ramp would be sufficient for you.

Back