Peppercorn RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
I'm gonna brew this on saturday. Based on Dieu du Ciel! ''Route des épices'', but changed the hops and kind of pepper.

This is for 6 gallons, 70% eff.

4 Kg (8.8lb) Maris Otter
1 Kg (2.2lb) Rye Malt
1 Kg (2.2lb) Wheat Malt
500 g (1.1lb) Carapils
150 g (0.33lb) Chocolate malt

28g (1oz) Columbus Tomahawk FWH + 60 minutes
28g (1oz) Cascade 7.5 minutes
6g Szechuan green pepper 5m boil
4g Early harvest Indian green pepper 5m boil

Mash in at 122°F, begin rise immediatly to...
30m @ 150°F
45m @ 154°F
10m @ 170°F

Yeast will probably be Us-05, or maybe t-58. Depends on my saturday's mood.

I'm wanting to clone the Route Des Épices as well.

I think that my recipe isn't so far from the original, on the grain side. But they certainly use black pepper, and the hops are definitly not cascade. For the yeast, if you want to clone, it could be nice to grow a culture from a bottle.

I've had Route Des Épices in QC and found it a very pleasant brew however can't get it down here. Would like to try modifying a rye ipa recipe to attempto clone it but am not sure how much pepper to use. How close did your attempt come to the original in pepper flavour and effect?
I's normally use Wyeast America Ale II (1272) as the yeast for this type of brew.

I've had Route Des Épices in QC and found it a very pleasant brew however can't get it down here. Would like to try modifying a rye ipa recipe to attempto clone it but am not sure how much pepper to use. How close did your attempt come to the original in pepper flavour and effect?
I's normally use Wyeast America Ale II (1272) as the yeast for this type of brew.

I tasted it yesterday. It is different from the original, since I used different pepper, and a lot of Cascade hops. This is an amazing beer!

How did you come up with your grain bill? Did you base it on anything you were able to learn about how the brewery makes the beer, or did you wing it based on your experience with the beer? Just curious.

How did you come up with your grain bill? Did you base it on anything you were able to learn about how the brewery makes the beer, or did you wing it based on your experience with the beer? Just curious.

It wasn't really a clone, it was a recipe inspired by the Route des Épices. I knew it was a Rye beer with a bit of wheat, with still dominant Barley. I know that from the ingredients list on the bottle. So I take the idea and make it my way.

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to point out to anyone that Route Des Epices can be found at the Publik Haus in Boston/Brookline.

Back