Not the typical first timers question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmarkel

Reaction score
Or maybe it is:

So I'm completely new to the homebrew process but I don't have a normal question. I'm middle of my first homebrew ... 3 days in fact, about to transfer to secondary. The question I have is that I have plans to improve my next batch with a fermentation chiller(son of a fermentor design) and a 10 gallon mash tun(made from a 10 gallon round cooler). I have a standard kit, fermentation bucket(6.8gallon) carboy (5 gallon) thermometer, tubing, disinfectant, bottles, caps etc.... everything one would expect to come with a standard starter kit... the question I have is, what am I missing? thanks for the answers

First off.. Leave the batch thats going now for a couple of weeks before transfering. Now onto your ?? I dont see a kettle big enough for all wort boil, or a wort chiller of some sort...
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, good job stating the obvious... I wouldn't say anything but this but you are treating me like a complete moron not even reading my post. If you have something to say after reading, go ahead. yes I know the primary should go for a couple weeks before transferring... yes I know it's an extraneous step, but goddamit I have the equipment for it and so I'm going to do it. I also know for another 100 dollars I can have at least a semi-effective tun and a fermentation cooler allowing me to do at least some all grain brews. And I will try them all. Will some be skunk? yes. will I still drink them. hell yeah. I do what I do... but then again I'm tired of feeding the troll

I also know that I should use a wort cooler, but I won't right now the bathtub method works for me. or the fermentation chiller I'm currently building... will someone save this forum for me or shall I write it off as a bunch of trolls?

What are you trying to accomplish? Why the extra steps and extra gear? Can you clarify your question? What types of beer you trying to brew?

thank you kapbrew, I'm not trying to do anything extra. is a fermentation cooler extra? I live in texas. Is a mash tun extra? I wasnt to do all grain brewing. What I want to know what other equipment, if any do I need? I have the basic kit as mentioned before.
Beyond that, do you see anything I need. lurk mor is a viable option. I'll figure it out on my own

trmarkel said:
I'll figure it out on my own

it looks like you already have. If you want clear answers then ask clear questions and don't jump down the throats of those people who have taken the time to offer help. I think your attitude stinks. Go read some more, then if you have a real question, come back and grovel your apologies if you want any more help.

IMHO

trmarkel said:
Jaybird, good job stating the obvious... I wouldn't say anything but this but you are treating me like a complete moron not even reading my post. If you have something to say after reading, go ahead.

really?

Jaybird, good job stating the obvious... I wouldn't say anything but this but you are treating me like a complete moron not even reading my post.

Jay stated what you asked and then you get mad at him ..lol. You should try to make your question more precise, if you don't want him to state the obvious.

the question I have is, what am I missing?

Your missing what you have exactly. so people will know what you have... jay stated what he thought you would need, from your broken list and then you get mad at him....wow

BeerEagle said:
it looks like you already have. If you want clear answers then ask clear questions and don't jump down the throats of those people who have taken the time to offer help. I think your attitude stinks. Go read some more, then if you have a real question, come back and grovel your apologies if you want any more help.

IMHO

Good grief your not kidding. Let's see how that bath tub of ice works for him after about 3 hours of staring.

hah well wtf.. this guy comes crashing in here just acting like a jacka$$ calling everyon trolls ..and expects us to help him.. he has nothing for all grain, people answer him ...the guy ignores the answer and tells off the one guy helping him... my god...lol..he will do good. XD

OP,
It sounds like you have it all figured out, so why come to a forum and ask questions?
After going off on a long time member for helping, I'm sure you'll have everyone here jumping through hoops to join in and help you out.
Ass!

OP,
It sounds like you have it all figured out, so why come to a forum and ask questions?
After going off on a long time member for helping, I'm sure you'll have everyone here jumping through hoops to join in and help you out.
Ass!

haha

Or running with his tail between his legs.

I would have loved to see this post come up in the evening when there are a full gammet of subscribers on!

Bull

What are you missing? A clue. And possibly opposing thumbs, since only a neanderthal would be such a jack wagon in trying to get help from people. I wish you nothing but piss water and infected beer.

BeerEagle said:
Come on, I know he's been acting like an a-hole, but who would wish that on anyone?:D

So, is he an a-hole or is just acting like an a-hole? My vote is for full-fledged a-hole. "I'm not an a-hole, but I play one on HBT.com."
Actually, it was strange to read his response to Jay. I had to reread Jay's post. I don't see where the reaction came from. Jay was only helping, ang he wasn't sarcastic in any way.

I can't figure out why the hell the OP THINKS that a "I have x,y, ans z, what else should I get" question )if that's even what he's asking) isn't a typical question on here." It's a daily freking occurance......

I also know that I should use a wort cooler, but I won't right now the bathtub method works for me. or the fermentation chiller I'm currently building... will someone save this forum for me or shall I write it off as a bunch of trolls?

Against my better judgement, I am going to address this anyway. Jaybird said "wort chiller". You are the one who mentioned all grain, which requires full boils. A wort chiller serves to cool the 5 gals to pitching temp in a reasonable amount of time. A fermentation chamber is for, well...fermentation. You know, like AFTER you pitch the yeast.
My recommendation, lose the crappy attitude and stop lashing out at the folks trying to help you. Otherwise, you are more than welcome to bless off because we don't want your type around here. HBT didn't become the greatest homebrew site on the web by catering to the attitudes of jerks like you are presenting yourself to be.

Wow! what a first post to read for the morning. I also had to reread Jay's post and the the OP. It seems the OP said he was going to transfer to secondary after only three days. Jay tries to help him to make better beer by recommending that he leave it alone and the OP jumps down his throat WTF!:drunk:

Jaybird, good job stating the obvious... I wouldn't say anything but this but you are treating me like a complete moron not even reading my post. If you have something to say after reading, go ahead. yes I know the primary should go for a couple weeks before transferring... yes I know it's an extraneous step, but goddamit I have the equipment for it and so I'm going to do it. I also know for another 100 dollars I can have at least a semi-effective tun and a fermentation cooler allowing me to do at least some all grain brews. And I will try them all. Will some be skunk? yes. will I still drink them. hell yeah. I do what I do... but then again I'm tired of feeding the troll

Wow- you ask what you need and someone tells you two necessary items and you call him names? That's really not appropriate. If you ask for advice, and we give you some advice, then jumping on pepple isn't very nice.

You were told two items you need- a wort chiller (NOT a fermentation chiller!!!!!) and a bigger pot. Sorry if that is so offensive to you but that is what you need.

Anyway, let's all step back now and only post helpful comments. Some people had their say about the appropriateness of your response, and I'll let those stand but let's keep on topic from now on.

WOW, i have never had anything but good help here and tlak about no patience for an answer! Good luck OP!

PLEASE, Someone tell me he isn't really from Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had nothing but good experiences here and saw nothing wrong with the answer he got!

I can't figure out why the hell the OP THINKS that a "I have x,y, ans z, what else should I get" question )if that's even what he's asking) isn't a typical question on here." It's a daily freking occurance......

Isn't it obvious? The tone is "All those other n00bs are idiots, but I know my stuff! I'm so freakin' smart, my question must be completely different from anything you've seen before -- it will blow your mind and turn you all into trolls!"

I had seriously wondered if we were looking at something like this as soon as I read the thread title. Of course, I never would have guessed he was this arrogant... yeesh!

Funny...I had to go re-read my post too.

I went back and forth between the posts at least three times trying to figure out what had happened. I thought it was my lack of morning coffee, turns out it was the OP's lack of common sense.

Is this a joke? Fess up. Someone start this to incite a riot this early in the morn?

I don't think so, as it's a sad fact of life that a-holes like this are everywhere.

The one thing that makes me wonder is that he mentioned this being a "forum filled with trolls" when only one person had replied] to him. Sadly, though, that level of logic fail is also a pretty common thing.

Really, what do you expect from a bunch of dumb hairless apes? The fact that any of us are not clueless logic-impaired a-holes is a frikkin' miracle. :cross:

Back