Dunkel Weizenbock Recipe - Please Critique/Make Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
Chicago brewer here, only made one wheat and it was my first brew with help from a brew shop (Bev Art in Beverly, IL).

put together this malt extract recipe after doing some reading.

6lbs Briess Wheat syrup extract
3.3 lbs Briess Amber syrup extract
1 lb Briesse Wheat DME

for steeping:
1/2 lb light munich
1/2 lb munich 40
1/2 lb vienna
1/2 lb dark wheat
handful of chocolate malt (i have some extra roasted barley, thoughts on that?)

1 oz of Perle for bittering
1 oz of Hallertau for flavor
maybe 1 oz of Hallertau for aroma?

Wyeast Weihenstephen Activator Pack.

im not going for a fully traditional beer here, more of a hop spiced up twist on a strong dark wheat.

I think You will too strong on the hops( mhop) if you use all that you listed.might want to tone it down a bit unless you want a strongly hopped wheat beer

If you want a beer full of spicy hops, then go ahead and toss in all those hops. In fact, if you want truly spicier hops, ditch the Hallertauer and go with Tettnanger or Sterling.

I don't like the idea of steeping the Munich and Vienna malts. Those really need to be mashed. If you want the sort of character they bring, you can look into the Caravienne and Caramunich specialty grains or their German equivalents.

TL

TexLaw said:
If you want a beer full of spicy hops, then go ahead and toss in all those hops. In fact, if you want truly spicier hops, ditch the Hallertauer and go with Tettnanger or Sterling.

I don't like the idea of steeping the Munich and Vienna malts. Those really need to be mashed. If you want the sort of character they bring, you can look into the Caravienne and Caramunich specialty grains or their German equivalents.

TL

i kind of figured someone would not like that :p But I think I see what you mean, those are more base malt like and caravienne and caramunich would be better for getting that kind of flavor/character into the beer.

I like the idea of going with the Tettnanger or Sterling actually...to really give it a spicy boost.

Back