week long starter...too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
i made a starter 1 litre(quart) starter last sunday of wlp300 for a bavarian wheat that im going to brew tommorow. i left it for this long because im away in the city all week and can only do brewing stuff at weekends. i think it has almost fully fermented now but that should just give me a higher yeast cell count? wont ruin my brew for any reason?

im also getting up early to have a go at a double decoction for this one:
55% wheat
45% 2-row lager
1oz hersbrucker (45min boil)
white labs wlp300 starter

I think it might actually be ideal, especially if it manages to settle out a bit more than normal. Starters with Weizen yeast can be a bit of a PITA because you always have to pitch the entire volume of the starter as it rarely has settled out in any regard come pitching time.

I would suggest leaving for the week and when it comes time to start your brew session, drain off the top liquid into a sanitized vessel and put it in the fridge and hold back the bottom slurry for pitching later. Right before your brew session is totally complete and the clean up is almost done see if any further yeast has since settled out in the refridgerated liquid and pitch it if it has, by draining off the top liquid and pitching the slurry.

homebrewer_99 said:
Pour off most prior to using...save some to swirl the yeast off the bottom. :D

ie. pour off most into a tasting glass, after all i did a mini mash of 66% wheat to barley for the starter because i had no dme.
cool thanks guys

Back