Stout/Creamy Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I just made my first all grain stout. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was a little off with my OG, but the barley was cracked at the store and I did not think it was cracked very well. Anyway, I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. I only have a 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboy, but if I put CO2 in the carboys first and then split the wort up, to get my creamy stout and stout, would that work? At the moment I can not buy 2 - 2 gallon carboys.
Thanks in advance.

i say fill one all the way, brew another, then fill the other, but thats just me:D

I think that you are way too worried. The brew will not get oxidized while you are awaiting fermentation. People go to great pains to aerate before fermentation. Purging with CO2 is not necessary and I would split the batches if you want to.

Was oxidation really your concern?

brewt00l said:
What's the plan/difference between your stout & creamy stout from the same wort? I um confused.
Lactose would be my guess, but I've always added that later in the boil. I suppose you could add it to the fermenter and then rack on top of that to mix it in.

FYI - There's a great Mackeson's XXX milk (cream) stout recipe in Clone Brews; lots of lactose and lip-smackin' good :mug:

damntheman said:
Lactose would be my guess, but I've always added that later in the boil. I suppose you could add it to the fermenter and then rack on top of that to mix it in.

That doesn't exactly sound sanitary, but either way you would not have any reason to put co2 in your primary would you?

Back