Whirlpool - Possible with Flat Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I truly need this communities help here. I really want to incorporate whirlpooling into my brewing. I was planning on purchasing a flat bottom brew kettle with a whirlpool weld added to it, but was told that whirlpooling doesn't work with a flat bottom kettle. Has anyone tried it? I have a keggle that I could use instead. Would a keggle work better? Any help would be appreciated.

I do a manual whirlpool with a spoon in my flat bottom kettle with no issues.

imag0322w.jpg

Thank you Anchorbock! Looks good. It looks like the cone spreads across the bottom just a bit. Have you adjusted your drain in any manner or just draw from where your bulkhead/ballvalve/drain is located?

Thank you Anchorbock! Looks good. It looks like the cone spreads across the bottom just a bit. Have you adjusted your drain in any manner or just draw from where your bulkhead/ballvalve/drain is located?

I do BIAB so I have a lot of trub. The drain port is located at about the 1.25 gallon mark so I usually leave that amount behind. Depending on the amount of hops in the batch I may end up pulling in a little bit more trub, but still leave a ton behind. I'm sure if I wasn't doing BIAB I'd have a tighter cone of hop and break material.

I whirlpool with a pump in a 20G flat bottom kettle with great success. Yes, the trub pile is a bit more spread out, but I draw from the side with no issues.

IMAG0214.jpg

Back