Sanke keg cleanup after grinding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
Used a grinder to cut open the tops the same way Bobbym did (thanks man!) and it worked out well. My question is once done sanding the rough edges what else should I do? I'm thinking about rust from the exposed ground surfaces. I have some bar Keepers friend on order but I'm wondering how quickly the ground areas will rust up? I don't want to mess up my new sanke kegs! Any other cleanup tips greatly appreciated.

Once cleaned out thoroughly is there any need to wait before boiling water in them?

Bmickey, Welcome,you need not worry about rust the keg is made stainless steel. The only rust you could possibly see is if any part of the grinder or grinding wheel made of carbon steel may have deposited some material while you were converting the keg. As for clean-up the Barkeepers friend works great. And no need to wait to boil water.

Cheers:mug:

Ok, now I feel kinda dumb! haha, I know stainless steel doesn't rust I guess but what confused me was in another article people were talking about Actively repassivating the stainless or letting it set to repassivate itself??? I assumed they were talking about rust/oxidation. Any merit to this?

Yeah, I don't know all of the chemistry, but stainless has a certain amount of carbon in it. If you get it too hot, the metal losses its ability to be rust free. I think it's like the carbon is "exposed". You will get little specks of rust around where you grind as well as any grinding particles. I used a brand new wheel made for stainless and still had a couple of places. I made a paste of BKF and scrubbed them, rinsed and let it set a couple of days. No more problems. You can go ahead and use the keg, after you finish your brew day, passivate it and let it sit. Like I said, I'm not a Chemist, so any of you Metallurgists can probably give a better explaination. - Dwain

Back