Will film from last batch stuck in primary hurt the next batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
When I bought this better bottle, the instructions stated not to scrub the inside with a brush, but, to keep the inside moist and rinse the heavy particles out.

I used a phosphorus based cleaner to rinse out the inside of this better bottle and then rinsed with StarSan.

There is a ring of film around the top, shown below. I plan to put another batch in this tommorow. How should I proceed?

IMG_0902.JPG

When I bought this better bottle, the instructions stated not to scrub the inside with a brush, but, to keep the inside moist and rinse the heavy particles out.

I used a phosphorus based cleaner to rinse out the inside of this better bottle and then rinsed with StarSan.

There is a ring of film around the top, shown below. I plan to put another batch in this tommorow. How should I proceed?

If you've got some heavy crud that won't come out with a rinse...use a bottle brush after a nice hot soak. Problem with proceeding is your next batch may not encounter problems...but will likely leave behind its own residue...and the next batch..and the next...and so on.

Fill that jug with 3 inches of the hottest tap water you have with a tablespoon of Oxyclean and a tablespoon of bleach. Shake that puppy around like crazy for a few minutes and the brush should knock it right off.

If you've got some heavy crud that won't come out with a rinse...use a bottle brush after a nice hot soak. Problem with proceeding is your next batch may not encounter problems...but will likely leave behind its own residue...and the next batch..and the next...and so on.

Fill that jug with 3 inches of the hottest tap water you have with a tablespoon of Oxyclean and a tablespoon of bleach. Shake that puppy around like crazy for a few minutes and the brush should knock it right off.

The instructions with the better bottle explicitly said "Do not scrub the inside of the container. Scrubbing can cause scratches were bacteria can hide." Have you scrubbed the inside of a polycarbinate better bottle?

I'd personally fill it all the way up with Hot oxyclean and let it sit overnight. Give it a shake in the morning, dump then blast with a stronger jet of hot water. I bet it comes right off.

The instructions with the better bottle explicitly said "Do not scrub the inside of the container. Scrubbing can cause scratches were bacteria can hide." Have you scrubbed the inside of a polycarbinate better bottle?
Yes. If you are using a bent wire bottle brush (that's what I use) there is no way you can impart enough pressure to scratch the surface.

Do what you like, but like I said...that film is just going to keep building up and then talk about places where bacteria can hide. ;)

Yes. If you are using a bent wire bottle brush (that's what I use) there is no way you can impart enough pressure to scratch the surface.

Do what you like, but like I said...that film is just going to keep building up and then talk about places where bacteria can hide. ;)

I think I feel better scrubbing it out.

Thanks again

The reason they don't want you to scrub the bottle is so you don't scratch it & provide a place for bacteria to hide.

If you can see a film of crud - you've got a place where bacteria can hide. Which devil do you want?

I only occasionally have to use the carboy brush.

Oxyclean is the only billy maze product i will admit to using.

Look at the better bottle v. Glass post ( search it ) and someone talks about just this issue. Sorry I can't be more specific but you can search it.

BM, Ordinarily I am right with you on your advice. But advising someone to mix household chemicals is always a bad idea.

Besides, I have never met a funk in a BB carboy that Oxyclean alone couldn't handle with a good soak.

Some have reported good success in removing the residue by putting a small dish towel inside the BB and swirling with Oxyclean and hot water; me- I never met anything that hot water and Oxyclean couldn't handle.

BM, Ordinarily I am right with you on your advice. But advising someone to mix household chemicals is always a bad idea..

That's alright. Not to many understand my need to brew over propane in my basement either. :D

The catch is when you blast a corny or a BB with 1.5 gallons of hot water and then toss in 1 tbsp each of Oxy and bleach, then slosh it quickly and rinse...the dilutive effect of the water renders the brief interaction of the two items essentially inert.

I won't advise against conventional wisdom, but I'm not exactly conventional. Approaching 110 batches using this method and narry an infection or other ill effect, I'll stick with it. :eek:

I have 3 BB have had them for 3-4 years and they still look brand new. Used to make wine in them and now first 2 batches of beer. I use and have used a carboy brush and can't see any visible scratches. Just don't use a lot of pressure on the brush. Also after I use my BB's I fill them with water and let them sit for about a week.

What, no suggestions that the BB is ruined and needs to be disposed of yet? :D

Yea a soak and a soft scrub with a carboy brush will clear that goop out just like BierMuncher said.

I've never had a problem with even the most stubborn crud with hot water oxyclean and my jet bottle/carboy washer...

4147.jpg

I usually start with a good blast with it after I dump the trub, then soak with oxyclean, then seriously rinse again with the blaster...

I've never needed to use a brush on anything using that combo...no brush, no need to worry about scratches...

I would not use a brush on my better bottles. Give it a nice soak in oxyclean and water overnight. If that doesn't get it out, you can put a dishrag in with some water and slosh it around, or you can wrap a rag/washcloth around the end of a stick (i used a clothes hanger so i could bend it and get to some hard to reach places) and zip tie it on. EdWort has a picture of it somewhere.

Back