Please critique blonde ale recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
I am just getting used to making my own recipe's and this one is made up of some items i have at home (yeast, hops). It is an extract recipe, with late addition method. My goal is a lighter color, not-so-bitter, beer for my wife who says all my beers are "too bitter". Let me know what you think.

7lbs LME
1/2 lb crystal 10l
1/2 lb carapils
1/4 lb honey malt

1/2 oz perle (8.5%) (60 min)
1/2 oz cascade (5%) (15 min)
1/2 oz cascade (5%) (flameout)

Nottingham yeast

I kinda just added the honey malt for sweetness, not sure if it should be there, or not, or if it is too much, never used it before.

it looks pretty good. that honey malt will definitely add a bit of sweetness, but ¼ lb shouldn't be too much at all. the hops don't look too overpowering, allthough i personally would prefer a softer hop...i don't like the grassy cascades too much.

nottingham yeast will make it pretty dry, just the way i like it.

Here's how it shakes out in Beersmith:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.7 IBU
Personally I think your OG is a bit high and your finishing gravity (~1.014 from all the unfermentables, even with Nottingham) is going to leave the beer less crisp than a blonde/lawnmower beer should be. I'd drop the Crystal 10. I'd also drop the Cascades and just go with a .75 ounce Perle bittering addition. Enough flavor and aroma would come through to keep things interesting without the overpowering citrus of Cascade masking the malt flavors. But that's just me

Good luck! However you choose to make it, I'm sure it'll be a fine beer. You might consider using a Kölsch yeast and fermenting a little cooler than usual for a more lager-like character. That'll probably be more in line with what your wife is used to.

Chad

Back