Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pound, but haven't brewed with it yet. It tastes like slightly too-dark toast crust, at least in its grain form. No real coffee flavor, per se. I like it a lot, I'll use it next time I make a toasty brown or something like that.

I've used it for my chocolate espresso porter. It does have a slight coffee aroma and flavor. I'm tweaking the recipe though as it came out more like a stout than a porter.

Half a pound went into a stout a brewed on Monday. Just trying to get some coffee undertones to it. I'll get back to you in a couple months if it works.

I'm really curious about this grain as well, want to use it in a RIS to get some coffee undertones. My question is does this flavor stay with the beer in aging or does it fade in time like coffee flavor from beans would?

Ten year old thread, but hey, I'll put in my 2 cents. ;)

I added half a pound of this to a Guinness clone with a pound of flaked barley (5 gallon batch) and wow, it's the best stout I have made. The coffee aroma and flavor are spot on.

Can't comment on the aging question as it didn't last long in the keg. :D

Back