Calculating Potential for Grade A Dark Amber Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3lackEyedAngels

Reaction score
Beer Smith tells me that the potential for Maple Syrup is 1.030, and that its dry yield fine grain is 65.20%. However, I doubt these values because Beer Smith doesn't make any distinction between the different grades of maple syrup. I have some grade A dark amber that I'd like to add to a breakfast stout that I have fermenting. The label says it has 53g of sugars (mostly sucrose according to the Wikipedia) per 1/4 cup.

Beer Smith also says that plain sucrose has a potential of 1.046 and a yield of 100%. My guess is that yield refers to the mass of ferment-ables per mass of product. Therefore, I think I can pretty easily calculate the yield of a specific grade of syrup with the information on its label and a scale (mass of sugars per serving/service size * volume of syrup/mass of volume of syrup).

I need help with the potential value though. I think it has to do with the ferment-ability of the product, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone help?

Not really about your potential here, but I'd recommend not using grade A syrup for fermenting. Grade B gives you a lot more tasty maple flavor (which is mostly tannic / woody, once you get rid of the sugars). For the extract level, you could always dissolve a small amount of the syrup in a fixed volume and measure the SG of the resultant mix.

The vast majority of the gravity-adding solids in your syrup will be fermentable. Pretty sure that it's mostly fermentables and water, with a few percent of this-and-that giving the maple-centric flavor. The rest is just water.

Not really about your potential here, but I'd recommend not using grade A syrup for fermenting. Grade B gives you a lot more tasty maple flavor (which is mostly tannic / woody, once you get rid of the sugars).
Sure, if I can find it.

For the extract level, you could always dissolve a small amount of the syrup in a fixed volume and measure the SG of the resultant mix.
Extract level?

The vast majority of the gravity-adding solids in your syrup will be fermentable. Pretty sure that it's mostly fermentables and water, with a few percent of this-and-that giving the maple-centric flavor. The rest is just water.
I thought about simply specifying the mass of sugar and a volume of water according to the amount of maple syrup I'd add, but I'd rather not kludge it if I don't have to.

UPDATE: I guess the sucrose content in the various grades of maple syrup are the same. I bought some grade B at Whole Foods yesterday, and it had the same amount per service as the grade A dark amber. I think Beer Smith might have it right. The change in ABV as calculate by Beer Smith is nearly the same no matter if I use 1.87 pounds of sugar--the contents of a quart of maple syrup--or 2.80 pounds of maple syrup, the weight of one quart of the stuff according to Wolfram Alpha.

Latest posts

Back