Three E's Electric Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your problem. the Neutral on the Spa GFCI is mis wired. The Neutral coming from your main breaker should screw into the GFCI breaker. Normally the terminal is located between the L1 and L2 terminals. Then the pig tail goes to the Neutral bus bar which is tied to the rig. Current from L1 or L2 is going straight back to the main panel neutral and the GFCI cant account for the current, this is why its tripping.

Yeah, I had one of those DOH!! moments about an hour ago and fixed that, I was in a rush wiring the panel because it was almost midnight and I told the SWMBO I'd be in bed at 11, still can't believe I did that, I know better!!

Problem is I still get tripping!!!!!:mad:

Another hour and a half and I can spend some real time on it (better make that 3 hours, wife has a list for me).

I'm going to try and wire a motor or something direct to the spa panel using the same 5A breaker in the control panel that the power supply is hooked to and see if I still have tripping. If I do I'll exchange the spa panel and go from there.

Sorry, I misspoke. The pigtail should go to the Neutral coming from the breaker, the Neutral going to the brew rig is wired to the neutral terminal of the breaker.

Sorry, I misspoke. The pigtail should go to the Neutral coming from the breaker, the Neutral going to the brew rig is wired to the neutral terminal of the breaker.

I was checking the specs on the end line, for the rotary, girder........

I'm retarded:eek:

OK, no more playing with electricity until the 7 month old boy's mama gets home and I can concentrate only on the problem at hand. Need to clear my head and quit making stupid mistakes that I wouldn't be making if I'd slow down a bit.

Thanks everyone, power supply GFCI issues are RESOLVED!!! CodeRage was right, had the neutrals swapped in the spa panel, twice. I pulled off the main house panel to look at how I wired my arc faults for the bedrooms and got it straight. The 6/4 coming in threw me for a bit since in the main panel I didn't really think about the main line because it was already connected to the neutral and ground bus bars and the power plate behind the breakers.

I think I've got the estop right in my brain now too, thanks trigger! Hopefully by midnight tonight I'll have all the electrical tests done (baring anymore special moments by yours truly) and tomorrow I can start assembling the plumbing and doing some water tests!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

BREW ON!!

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!:ban:

Got the latching relay figured out thanks to HBT!!!!!!!

I haven't checked to see if I'm actually getting voltage at all of the receptacles but I'd be willing to bet I am.

All of the switches are working in the manual position, start button works, power supply works, LED's work.

I haven't run Brewtroller through it's paces yet but all the relays are working correctly.

Sorry for the bad pics.

Here she is lookin like Christmas!!
IMG_20101217_230932.jpg

Switches off
IMG_20101217_231009.jpg

Inside of front panel
IMG_20101217_231111.jpg

The guts with all the pretty green LED's showing relay's are active
IMG_20101217_231058.jpg

More relay LED's, red this time
IMG_20101217_231129.jpg

one last pic, things started to get a little messy when all the wires for the Brewtroller were run to the front panel.
IMG_20101217_231120.jpg

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!!

Sweet, now get going on the plumbing. I want to see this thing in action. So far so good, though.

Not a whole lot to report, SWMBO had a honey do list I spent 12 hours on last Saturday then Sunday she spent 8 hours shopping so I got to take care of the seven month old monkey man.

I did discover I needed to order more wire to connect my 2 and 3 way motorized ball valves, one more thing that got lost in the shuffle.

After reading the GFCI keeps blowing thread I got paranoid about my JB Weld potted elements. Never fear!! I hooked up the BK element since it already had water in it from my leak test and flipped the switch to manual control and voila! It was pretty cool to hear the hissing of the water warming up and NOT hear the click of the GFCI!!!

Leaving for Christmas tomorrow morning so the build will sit patiently waiting for me to finish her up (more patiently than me unfortunately).

Hopefully the SWMBO will let me spend some time on it so I can maybe give her the inaugural brew on New Year's Day:ban:

Merry Christmas everyone!!

OK so the New Years brew didn't happen. I'm gettin damn close though!!

I have all the stainless plumbing done, all the valves are hooked up and functional, well the were hooked up, now I'm troubleshooting my pressure and volume sensors so I had to disconnect everything from the Brewtroller board so I could see what the heck I was doing.

To do list for tomorrow is

1. Run wiring for new work light
2. Figure out the problem with my temp probes
3. Get pressure sensors working
4. Rework valve wiring so it's cleaner and I can see the BT board better.
5. Run wire and duct for exhaust fan

I'll take some pics tomorrow after I clean up up a bit, it's embarrassing how quickly things get messy when I'm working on a project sometimes!!

I'll take some pics tomorrow after I clean up up a bit, it's embarrassing how quickly things get messy when I'm working on a project sometimes!!

Don't be embarrassed! I omitted several pictures of my build thinking they showed too much clutter, but in hindsight, I probably should've shown them since the mess is to be expected and some important steps might be left out. Personally, I'd excuse the mess to learn what you're doing. :)

TB

Are your sensors just giving error codes? I, erm, I mean a friend of mine who built a control panel recently, had this problem when he first plugged mine in (I'm using PIDs, but it looks like you've got RTDs and 3-wire pressure sensors). What he'd done is soldered all the quick disconnects for the sensors the same way. That put the wire orientation off. What he had to do was go back and make the male end (the one mounted on the panel) the mirror image of the ones on the cord so that the wires corresponded to the ones on the probe. At least that's what he told me. I would never make this mistake, though, since it's pretty obvious...

If you're not using color coded wires inside your control pane, though, you can always just swap wires on the terminals until you find which goes where, if I'm even describing your problem.

EuBrew, congrats it's alive.
Questions; you have the manufacture and part number of the pressure sensors plus any specs like what the pressure range as well the output signal or voltage output range? Thanks.

Back