Best way to use chipotle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
What is the best way to use chipotle peppers in a beer? Last 10 min of the boil, dry hopping, or some other way?

I made a Guajillo Chipotle Smoked Porter recently that was pretty good. I found a recommendation on this forum somewhere and used the last 3 days during fermentation in the primary. I think it was pretty good! I used 2 Chipotle dried peppers and 1 Guajillo dried pepper. It came out a little hotter than I thought at first but quickly calmed down and was more smokey than anything after a week or two.

Thanks KnightRyder. Did you boil your Chipotles at all or did you just use them "raw"? I am concerned a bit about how clean and sterile are they straight from the bag...

Steamed 5 whole, one sliced in half without seads. Dryhoped in secondary for 2 weeks. Chopotle Smoked Porter was a hit with a light burn in the back of the throat after the first swig.

Back