Too much bitter orange. Help me save my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddieK

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Brewed up a witbier about a month ago, everything was pretty much standard with the flaked wheat, coriander and orange peel. I tasted the beer between primary and secondary and it tasted great, good balance of bitter orange and coriander and a good tartness from the yeast.

My mistake on this beer, was adding an additional .25oz of bitter orange to the secondary to try and enhance the orange flavor (maybe I should have used sweet peel instead). The result is a nice light witbier with a bitter orange taste that really knocks you back a step. If you've taken a big whiff form a bag of bitter peels, that's what it tastes like, almost leathery.

So here it is: how can I save my beer? My first impression is to back sweeten it a bit, but I've never done this before. Hopefully this would mellow out the bitterness to a degree. What type of sugar should I use? How do I add it, etc.

thanks guys!

Back