Brewcraft belgian wit kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growmegrapes

Reaction score
so I brewed my first brew and it came out horrible. I read on here not to toss your brew but store it and age it. after 3 more months in the dark, it still tastes like crap so I gave a 6er to a coworker and tossed the rest. This co worker loves belgian beer( chimay, piraat, abbey ales, etc) and I thought it tasted like latex.Great head retention, color, but it smelled and tasted like a balloon. I went and bought a six pack of belgian beers and they all tasted like latex just like my beer. I wanted it to come out like blue moon- one of my favs. So my question is how did my wit come out like an abbey ale instead of like blue moon? ferm at about 72 and they gave me a dry yeast

the only problem I had during the brew was I did it on my electric stove, and it took the full 60 min to get from 155 to boiling temp. Once I hit a boil it was time to cool the wort and pitch. I had never done this before so I was trying to stick to the time schedule. the beer feel clear in the bottle also i think because pectins were not set with the boil? not sure if that's normal.
the guy at LHBS said I probably had a spoilage issue since i did not have rolling steam coming off my brewpot, he explained how that carries things away and or sanatizes them. I have purchased a propane burner since then and my second brew seemed to go much better.

Just to clarify...you included the time it took to get to a boil in your 60 minutes and chilled pretty much as soon as it hit the boil?

yes thats exactly what happened. the directions said mash specialty grains at 155 for 30minutes then add powdered malt and the first addition of hops. as soon as the 30 min mash was done I cranked it to full heat and followed directions. i realize i should have waited for it to reach a boil before starting my 60 minute time frame, but i did not know that back then. my friend at work almost slapped me when i told him i dumped about 45 more of those down the sink. he's been buying the pricy stuff from belgium and said mine was better. I wish I could have enjoyed it that much! haha do all belgian wits taste similar to blue moon? I want to be sure it didn't come out perfect and I just thought I was brewing something else. I had a hefeweizen last week from a restaurant/brewery and it tasted like a balloon too, but the rest of the sampler was great

No most wits use a special yeast that gives it its distinct flavor but blue moon from what I heard uses a neutral yeast

has anyone else made the brewcraft belgian wit kit and had it turn out like blue moon? or was it more like an imported belgian beer?

I am sure you can find a good blue moon clone out there. I would try that if you really like that particular beer. Its a pretty popular beer.

yeah you're probably right. I just made the arrogant bastard clone recipe i found here and I used individual ingredients from the brew store. the wit was a box kit for my first time. I was just curious if anyone could pinpiont anything besides the obvious boiling screwup because i really want to try making this again. I found out they have a blue moon grand cru too, I will taste that first and maybe look for a clone of that beer.

Back