South Jersey/Philly/Delaware Group buy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great News! Thanks for organizing everything lordura and I look forward to keeping these going!

That is great. Thanks agian lordura. I will be out of town until Sat morn. If the shipment comes in this week, is there someone who wouldnt mind holding 4 sacks for me? or can it stay at the loading dock?

Called in today and received the invoice but thay are closed for the day to I have to call back tomorrow to place the final order. I'll let you guys know as soon as I call

Called in this morning to place the order! We did come into a problem. NCM would not honor the spot pricing on the hops unless we increased the amount of hops per variety. So the hop pricing would be standard home brewer pricing ($21-$26 per pound!). Since hopsdirect.com is much cheaper I felt it would be better for everyone to remove the hops from the order. All the grain pricing is still the same.

For those of you that paid for hops, if you used paypal and want the refund that way just let me know. I can also bring cash to everyone on the delivery day.

I've updated the order details on the first post so if anyone can't make it for pickup, please arrange for someone to pick up your grain for you. If you're splitting grain, please arrive with a scale and bags or plan or plan on spliting at a later date.

Thanks again to everyone involved and please make plans to come on the delivery date or have someone pick it up for you.

Sorry about the hops... they aren't willing to work with us on the price.

Thanks again... Monday is perfect. Regarding the hops that's fine, thanks for making the call to leave them out!

Awesome. Thanks again lordura!

It looks like sethga will be picking up for me on Monday night he said he could be there a little after 7 if that works. He will also be picking up for ty5592 and Brew Hopperator.

Ty5592 & Brew Hopperator: Seth will be delivering this to me on Tuesday so we can arrange pickup with that in mind.

rtt121 & defenestate - I can send Seth with containers for our split grains. I can probably send a scale too if you guys don't have one? I looked at bag sizes and have listed what I think each of us should receive, let me know if this looks right.

18 1/3 lbs - CM-RYEM
18 1/3 lbs - CM-MUNH
16 2/3 lbs - GW-C60

It looks like sethga will be picking up for me on Monday night he said he could be there a little after 7 if that works. He will also be picking up for ty5592 and Brew Hopperator.

That's fine... I'm going to get there at 630 to get everything sorted out and have the pallet brought into the parking lot so 7pm might be the best time for everyone to arrive.

Monday night is also great for me as well. I will try to be there by 7 but 7:15 is probably more realistic for me, as long as it's ok with you. I am working nights and the last airplane lands at 6ish. We have to refuel it before I can take lunch to come get the grain. I will definitely be there by 7:15 at the latest. ANy chance of you PMing everyone your cell phone number just in case someone runs into trouble? Thanks again for arranging this.

Its only letting me PM 1 person at a time and waiting 60sec between each PM so i'll just throw it out here:

Here is my cell phone number for monday. I will be arriving a little early to get the pallet brought out for us. We will need everyone to be there for pickup between 7-730.

Jeff (***)***-****

If you run into any problems, please give me a call and let me know so i can stick around or make arrangements to hold your bags.

Count me in for a couple sacks on the next one as well. Just got the last bit of gear for going AG sans a mill, which is the next purchase (can anyone say "pasta machine"?)
:D :ban: :tank:

Awesome. Thanks again lordura!

Ty5592 & Brew Hopperator: Seth will be delivering this to me on Tuesday so we can arrange pickup with that in mind.

rtt121 & defenestate - I can send Seth with containers for our split grains. I can probably send a scale too if you guys don't have one? I looked at bag sizes and have listed what I think each of us should receive, let me know if this looks right.

18 1/3 lbs - CM-RYEM
18 1/3 lbs - CM-MUNH
16 2/3 lbs - GW-C60

the only scale i have is a propane tank scale... which would really only work with bags. just out of curiousity, what are you guys using to take the grain home with you? i think i might just grab some giant tupperware type stuff. if need be i can grab a digital scale before monday most likely...i'm going to need one to weigh out the grains anyways.

I have a scale I use for measuring grain, but I have to find it because I haven't used it in a while. I will let you guys know if I can't find it. As for what I am gonna put it in I am thinking I might pick up some homer buckets for the split grain. They are supposed to hold 25lbs of grain so the 18 ish we have should fit ok and the lids have a nice gasket. I would actually prefer bags of some sort, but I am not sure where to find food grade bags localy.

Come to think of it I think rtt121 mentioned he has a fish scale which might work well to hang the bucket from to measure weight.

I can go to the restaurant depot tomorrow and see if there's any kind of bags they have that would work.. they def have food grade buckets but they do not have a nice gasket like a fermenting bucket, for example.. unless you want to buy 5 gallons of bbq sauce and wash it out :)

i'm thinking about just stopping at target-on top of grabbing a digital scale they have 10 packs of 28 qt storage containters for 44 bucks. doesnt seem too bad. plus, who doesnt love stackable?

10 28qt containers for $44 seems pretty cheap. Are they air tight type containers or more the general storage type containers?

I have some big pretzel containers that hold between 6 and about 12 pounds of grain, depending on size. Do you guys want me to bring them? I save them for this purpose but wifey keeps complaining because I have so many and need to get rid of a bunch.

=Come to think of it I think rtt121 mentioned he has a fish scale which might work well to hang the bucket from to measure weight.

Correctamundo.. should work quite well. Fish scale will come along

+1 to homer buckets. Cheap and nice to have on hand anyway. I think that's the route I will take

I bought 3 homer buckets with the nice lids for under $10 today. Even if I only use them to get the grain home it was worth it.

Got a call today from the freight company. The pallet is being delivered late tonight after hours. They are closed on the weekends so everything is still going smooth!

Good to see you guys have come up with some ways split up that grain. It made me a little nervous in the beginning.

I have envelopes of cash for those who ordered hops.... maybe a hopsdirect group buy is in order?

Do they have lids?

Make sure you get some garbage bags and ties to line the buckets and seal the grain in. Depending on how plump the grain is, you'll be surprised how much area some malts will take up.

Bring a scoop of some sort, so you can get the final weight correct without lifting the sacks.

homer buckets are perfect, i have 10 in my basement full, 2 doesnt quite hold a full bag so you are going to have some left over. No need for bags and ties on the buckets, they have gasketed lids and are food safe

so one of these should be good for <20 lbs of grain then?

yeah shouldnt have a problem on that... i did manage to fit one of the bags into 2, but it was extremely tight and wasnt worth the effort, under 20lbs you shouldnt have a problem, and you cant beat the price

Sounds good if they have lids.

I didn't see any lids with the ones on the end cap when I was last there.

I got my homer buckets in the store and they had plenty of lids. The lids are sold separately for $.99 and the buckets are something like $2.39 each. In my store they have tons of them on every other end cap and near the cleaning supplies. The lids are very tight fitting and have a nice thick rubber gasket.

Just want to give everyone a reminder about tomorrow! 7-7:30pm pick up! If anyone has any trouble making it, please give me a call so we can make arrangements to get your grain to you.

Thanks and see you all tomorrow!

When arriving at NEMF, pull through the gate and all the way around the building to the ramp. Look for a white mazda!

Back