how do you siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what equipment do you use to get your siphons started?

• autosiphon

• carboy cap

• just a hose

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Right now, I use the autosiphon.

I am getting ready to change my process though and do it with CO2 through a carboy cap and a racking cane. I want to start taking more measures to limit the exposure to oxygen.

Dude said:
I want to start taking more measures to limit the exposure to oxygen.

have you been having problems lately, or are you just getting knit-picky in your old age? :)

Autosiphon now.

I use mostly a bucket for primary. If I go to all carboys (which I eventually may), I'd probably go to the carboy cap/racking cane method.

I just use a hose and tap water. Its easy for me to drain the water and a taste of beer into my dog's dry food bowl :D

Wild

Co2 and carboy cap.
1332-P1010011.JPG

Autosiphon for me. I'll probably eventually go to a CO2 + carboy cap similar to flhrpi's there at some point.

Didn't see this poll yesterday Walker but it leads to a question I was just thinking about... Hope you don't mind...

If you're using an autosiphon, what kind? Since I'm TRYING to get my stuff together (Medical bills are taking priority at the moment) and I am replacing some gear, I really want to get an autosiphon. NB has a nice Fermtech one, but what are your guys thoughts??? It'll be from plastic to glass so the hoods are out for the moment....

Any and all input appreciated...

Ize

So, you actually force all the beer through with the CO2? (as opposed to a small blast of CO2 to get things rolling and let gravity take over from there?)

flhrpi said:
Co2 and carboy cap.
1332-P1010011.JPG

Brewpastor said:
Most of the time it is just a hose. Sometimes I fill the hose with water, cap the end with my thumb and then let it go...

Now THIS is a funny damn post. Everyone has seen the Pastor's 'homebrew' setup in his garage, right? Some commercial brewers aspire to have gear as nice as the BP.

check it out yourself: https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/3144-AllStored3.JPG

But... he just uses a hose to siphon.

Honestly, I was expecting to hear that you had some sort of beer teleporter that just magically moved beer from one place to another and produced the smell of ozone in the process.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
Honestly, I was expecting to hear that you had some sort of beer teleporter that just magically moved beer from one place to another and produced the smell of ozone in the process.

-walker

Agreed! I was really expecting a filtration system between conical to keg personally. :D

Brewpastor said:
Most of the time it is just a hose. Sometimes I fill the hose with water, cap the end with my thumb and then let it go...

this from the guy with a set up like this:

3144-AllStored3.JPG

EDIT sorry didn't meant to repost this - i guess i was looking through brewpastor's gallery while everyone was thinking the same thing i was...WTF?!

Back