Looking for an Ommegang Witte clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow here's an odd update. Several months later BYO had a clone recipe and I brewed it just last week. Can't wait to taste my Ommegang Witte clone.

In case anyone else was wondering...

5g recipe
OG = 1.047
FG = 1.008
IBU = 10
SRM = 3
ABV = 5.1%

5.8 lbs. pilsen malt
2.4 lbs. white wheat malt
1.1 lbs. unmalted wheat flakes
0.39 lbs. pregelatinized oat flakes

2.5 AAU Styrian goldings hops (90 min.) (0.5 oz. of 5% AA)

0.35 oz. coriander seed (crushed)
1.2 oz. sweet orange peel

Belgian Ale yeast: Wyeast 3944 or WLP 400

Mash 5 min. at 113F
35 min. at 144F
20 min. at 154F
Mash off at 165F

Boil 90 min. and add spices during the last 10 min. of the boil.

Pitch the yeast at 70F and let the temp. rise but not above 79F. Carbonate to 2.7 volumes.

I'm also trying to find a good recipe for this. This is what I'm thinking.
5 Gallon batch
3lbs Pale DME
3.3lbs Wheat LME
1.5lbs Flaked Wheat (Unmalted?)
1.5Oz Orange Peel 15 Min
1Oz Coriander 15 Mins
1Oz Styrian Goldings 60 Mins
.5 Oz Sazz 15 Mins

This for Extract I'm not up to all grain yet. I was going to make a starter from their yeast in the bottle. I also read in another thread that they use Star Anise I've never used this ingredient so I'm not sure if it is in it or how much and when I would use it. I'm also wondering about the Flaked wheat the bottle says they use unmalted wheat I don't think I've seen that in my LHBS.

6 years later... Any feedback on how this has worked out? I'm going to make a 10G batch soon, only with Spalt hops instead of the Styrian.

I also cultured the yeast from a bottle of Ommegang, built it up with a progressively stronger/larger starter and even what I decanted off tastes pretty good.

Back