Liquid yeast longer to start than dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Does Liquid yeast longer to start than dry yeast? Had a few batches with dry and started right up after about 8 hours. Had a few batches with liquid yeast and it took forever. I think I know the answer but.............

Just a poll to see what everyone thinks. Thanks for satisfying my curiousity.

There is a larger amount of yeast in dry vs. liquid, which is why most people typically make a starter with there liquid yeast.

Make a starter for your liquid yeast.
In a liquid yeast tube the yeast go into a low metabolic state due to lack of food. Once you pitch them in the beer it takes some time for them to reawaken and then multiply to the desired population levels before starting fermenting. Dry yeast is dehydrated in a near ideal state and has much more cells than a liquid tube. Once rehydrated they only need to multiple a small amount before starting fermentation. Therefore dry yeast will usually be much than liquid yeast unless you use a starter. With a starter you allow the liquid yeast to reawaken and multiply before pitching. If you pitch your starter at high krausen then those yeast are ready to go and will start on your wort very quickly after a short growth phase. This is often even faster than with dry yeast.
So for best results use liquid yeast with a starter.
FWIW I usually use dry yeast due to longer storage and its easier to get ready for those times I get a chance to brew without much warning.
Craig

Latest posts

Back