Strike water temp for EdWort's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
Could anyone give my a rough estimate of the strike water temp for this recipe? I don't seem to recall seeing it in the recipe. Assuming my grain is in the 65 to 70 degree range and I preheat my cooler MLT. Thanks.

The last time I made Edworts Haus Ale I heated my strike water to 167.5° and hit 150.4°, using a preheated 5 gal Igloo cooler and 73° grain.

It realy comes down to your system. for me I preheat my 20 gallon MLT with 5 gallons @180* for as long ast it takes for my strike water to get to temp.

I have to strike at 170* to hit the 152*

Ialso do ten gallon batches.

I had approximately 175 degrees and hit 151. I am happy with that. I have a 60 gallon rectangular cooler and it seemed to work. THanks for the help guys. It is almost time to sparge.

I ran the numbers through ProMash and if you are using 10 1/2 pounds of grain that is 70 degrees F with 3 1/2 gallons of water you will need to heat it to 164 degrees F. I've had pretty good results from using ProMash's calculator.
If you use more or less water it will change the dough in temp.

There is no way one can say "use this temp" unless they are using the same mash tun setup that you are using and use it at the same ambient temp. You can get close using programs such as Pro-Mash or Beer Smith but you have to adjust once you try that temp to be able to hit that strike temp every time. Be sure to write down what you do every time so you can adjust for the next brew. Everything comes into play here. Grain temp, Mash tun temp, etc.

WBC said:
There is no way one can say "use this temp" unless they are using the same mash tun setup that you are using and use it at the same ambient temp. You can get close using programs such as Pro-Mash or Beer Smith but you have to adjust once you try that temp to be able to hit that strike temp every time. Be sure to write down what you do every time so you can adjust for the next brew. Everything comes into play here. Grain temp, Mash tun temp, etc.
He stated that he preheats his tun. If he does that the calculations in ProMash will be pretty accurate.

teu1003 said:
i'd like to see that ... 60 quart, right?

Here you go.

0003422345336_500X500.jpg

Mine is a rubbermaid with the drain in the middle of the long side (front) dual hinge lid so I only have to open half the top to check temp etc. It was 24.95 at Sam's club.

Latest posts

Back