Apricot Brett Farmhouse (wlp670) - Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

4 months ago I brewed an amber Farmhouse (Amber Candi) with calvados-soaked oak, and it now smells absolutly fantastic, and i'm close to bottle it, and I want to another one with that same yeast. I have a can of apricot puree (3lbs) here, so 1+1 made about 2 in my head.

So, my recipe is pretty established, but I have trouble to decide on the mash temp and process... First of all here is the recipe:

6-gallons

2.700 kg Pils
1.750 kg Pale
0.400 kg Wheat flakes
0.150 kg Honey Malt

1oz Styrian Golding at 60
0.5oz Styrian golding at 20
0.5oz Styrian golding at 15
0.5oz Styrian golding at 10
0.5oz Styrian golding at 5

3lbs apricot puree

WLP670

OG 1050
FG 1000-1005
ABV 6-6.5
IBU 30

I'm just wondering about the attenuation of this yeast, and the fermentation time according to the mash temp.

If I mash at 150 F, would it ferment faster (like 2 months), but with less brett caracter, and if I mash at 154 F, would it ferment slower (4-6 months), but with more brett? What should expect for attenuation, close to 100% ?

By the way, what i'm looking for is a light refreshing easy-drinking fruity/hoppy beer.

Thanks!
Francis

Ours went from 1.044 to 1.008 in 40 days. I let it set about another 60 days. It only dropped 2 pts to 1.006 so 2 days ago I transferred to secondary.

I will bottle it in about another month.

Brett was boosted at week 4 by a pure brett brux culture I added a bit of. No pellicle yet....

Great beer. Can't wait to try it for real in a few months!

Ours went from 1.044 to 1.008 in 40 days. I let it set about another 60 days. It only dropped 2 pts to 1.006 so 2 days ago I transferred to secondary.

I will bottle it in about another month.

Brett was boosted at week 4 by a pure brett brux culture I added a bit of. No pellicle yet....

Great beer. Can't wait to try it for real in a few months!

What was your mash temperature?

I mashed at 145, brought up to 155 after 10 minutes and held for 50 min. I also used unmalted wheat to lend some stronger wheat flavor and more dextrins. I was however wanting it to finish dry and somewhat thin. Seems to have worked perfectly so far.

Its aging in secondary now, but at transfer I bottled a bomber. We will try it at november meet.

The sample I tasted was really good. Funky fruity, but can't name the flavors. I want to say it was lemon, but with no sourness. Im sure it will be more evident when carbed. The peach puree gave it a wonderful peach color that I was not expecting. It is very hazy, like a heffe.

If I mash at 150 F, would it ferment faster (like 2 months), but with less brett caracter, and if I mash at 154 F, would it ferment slower (4-6 months), but with more brett?

if you mash at 150, you'll get slightly MORE brett character.

"brett character" - funk, barnyard, leather, etc - is produced when brett consumes sacch's by-products. this is why an all-brett fermentation is so clean and doesn't taste funky: no sacch waste to transform. so mashing at 150 = more fermentable wort = more sacch activity = more sacch by-products = more brett flavors.

to get brett funk, you need sacch waste, not sugars.

if you mash at 150, you'll get slightly MORE brett character.

"brett character" - funk, barnyard, leather, etc - is produced when brett consumes sacch's by-products. this is why an all-brett fermentation is so clean and doesn't taste funky: no sacch waste to transform. so mashing at 150 = more fermentable wort = more sacch activity = more sacch by-products = more brett flavors.

to get brett funk, you need sacch waste, not sugars.

I never thought this way, that's logic. Anyway, I brewed and mashed at 152 :D

Back