Lowest Temp Lager Strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caulerpa

Reaction score
Hello! I hope your weekend went well!

I would like to brew a lager in my garage in the winter but the temperature is in the 30's (F). Even in the winter my house is too warm. Does anyone know of a yeast strain with really low temperature tolerance? If so, where could I get it from?

Thank you and have a wonderful week!

I don't think any yeasts ferment below 40. You could get a keg bucket and a fishtank heater for very little outlay, you'd have a fantastic fermentation control system in that cold garage this way.

You pretty much need to have some heater / temp control, you don't want to freeze your beer when lagering it, if it drops into the twenties or below this could occur.

I don't think any yeasts ferment below 40. You could get a keg bucket and a fishtank heater for very little outlay, you'd have a fantastic fermentation control system in that cold garage this way.

You pretty much need to have some heater / temp control, you don't want to freeze your beer when lagering it, if it drops into the twenties or below this could occur.

Only problem is most aquarium heater thermostats aren't made to operate below about 65F so he would probably need one of the digital controllers typically used for kegerators and ferm chanbers.

Back