More newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to say I appreciate all the insight I've garnered from this website.

I have a few newbie questions to ask. Mostly logistical in nature.

What are some recommendations for getting rid of yeast out of fermenters and grain cakes from mash tuns. I have a septic tank at my house and I hear pouring yeast down the drain will be very harmful. I do not have the option to compost as apparently my dog gets very sick gorging himself on spent grains. Also I do not want to attract all the fox, groundhog, and deer in the world to my half acre yard.

Also, is it bad to pour hops from the boil pot into the fermenter? Will this effect the beer negatively?

Thank you all so much for your help. It seems that with every brew day, bottle day, tasting, more questions pop up in my head. I've been looking for the answers at the bottom of glasses of beer, but they aren't always there!!!

Rinse the yeast cake out of the fermenter, dump it in the trash, on top of some paper or other stuff that'll absorb any liquid. I scoop my grain into a Home Depot bucket, let it cool, then dispose of it in a trash bag. Hops in the pot will precipitate out as trub in the yeast cake. Don't pour the last few hop filled ounces, but other than that there's no need to filter from the kettle to the fermenter.

Welcome to brewing!

Interesting, I always thought yeast would be good for a septic system. As noted, putting in trash with absorbers helps

Also I do not want to attract all the fox, groundhog, and deer in the world to my half acre yard.

I need to tell some of my hunting buddies about this. They'll be beating a path to my door to get my spent grain.

I've been dumping mine in my 4'x8'x6' compost box that's built alongside my retaining wall. I initially thought that the fox squirrels and/or birds would be all over it, but they've never shown any interest.

I'd think yeast would be fine in a septic system. I used to dump rid-ex in the toilet once a month & flush that into the septic tank. It's basically microbes & such that eat the stuff in there,breaking it down. Yeast would be ok,but produce a lot of gas. Not sure about this with the microbes in ridex. We had to use one of those electric stiring things in our septic tank by local law when we still had the old house around a country block from this one. City sewers going in nowadays.

I need to tell some of my hunting buddies about this. They'll be beating a path to my door to get my spent grain.

I've been dumping mine in my 4'x8'x6' compost box that's built alongside my retaining wall. I initially thought that the fox squirrels and/or birds would be all over it, but they've never shown any interest.

Interesting because I know chickens go berzerk over spent grains, like they literally freak out and eat them like crazy, then lay 500 eggs. I trade my spent grain for 18 eggs every time I brew.

Interesting because I know chickens go berzerk over spent grains, like they literally freak out and eat them like crazy, then lay 500 eggs. I trade my spent grain for 18 eggs every time I brew.

Great info. We've got some friends who have chickens. I'll dump my spent grains in a trash bag and let the chickens have a feast.

Back