Why chest freezers for kegerators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Why are a great deal of you using chest freezers? The only beer I can really think of that is better ice cold is the piss colored stuff most americans think is beer.

I think you are confusing the use. Most people are using them for fermentation control with thermostat controls, not for serving and those that are using them for serving are controlling the serving temperature and nothing more

Because the large footprint allows the fitting of many more kegs than most uprights. And we all use temp controllers or else you'd have a beer popsicle.

Because the large footprint allows the fitting of many more kegs than most uprights. And we all use temp controllers or else you'd have a beer popsicle.

Show's you what I know...... I did not know that you could control the temp of such a thing beyond the "0-6" knob...

Show's you what I know...... I did not know that you could control the temp of such a thing beyond the "0-6" knob...

It's just an external plug with a temperature probe that goes inside the freezer. It turns the power to the freezer on and off depending on your set temperature. You can buy them pre-made or make them yourself (see Ebay temp controller thread).

Mostly for this

image-4249693497.jpg

image-2666920291.jpg

A lot of people like the form factor - you can fit a bunch of kegs one deep and have easy access to the disconnects and lines on top vs. an upright fridge or freezer where you have to stack them in a couple deep. A normal household fridge typically has a freezer section too, which is a waste (at least as far as kegs go).

Aside from that, a new upright freezer is maybe like 2x the price of a chest style for comparable cubic footage. No idea why, but it is.

I was going to go this route...but then I went the upright kegerator route instead. Damn! If I read this a week ago, I would of bought a freezer chest!

Back