Competition shipping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Hello,

(Note this question is totally hypothetical.)

I am debating entering my most recent brew in a competition (my first one)! My hypothetical problem is that I may only have access to USPS for one reason or another. Competitions rules outlay that shipping alcohol via USPS is illegal, but doesn't say it's against the rules.

If I were to ship bottles to a competition, using USPS, and I wasn't caught, would a competition organizer accept them or toss them out? Couldn't you just consider them yeast samples (which is legal)?

Thanks

This is common in all competition, they are just warning you that it is illegal to ship via USPS but they will still accept your bottles. They just want you to know that If for some reason the bottles don't arrive or you get in trouble it's not their problem.

I accidentally did it once. I told them it was glass and fragile. Shipped to my brother ok. If they arrive,there not going to send them back,as they are safe and sound. It is a law though. Im not shure if they are that anal about not accepting it. I would make a run to the nearest ups or fed x if possible.

Would it be smart to not put a return address on it and include my address for the organizer inside? I'd probably just buy a flat rate box so I could do it anonymously and quick.

I think unless you drop it off,they will ask for it.They are nosey too kind of, they kind of ask what it is,at least fed x did, usps asks if there is anything potently dangerous or flammable or something like that.

I wouldn't worry about it....I am sure alcohol(homebrew and other) gets shipped all the time via USPS. Worse case scenario is that it breaks in transit and makes a mess. They aren't going to come afte you....especially since it is unmarked bottles. How do they know it's alcoholic beer and not non-alcoholic beer? Like someone else said you could always not put a return address on it but I wouldn't worry.

I've successfully sent via USPS several times but I would never do it for a comp. I don't know how event people are about it, but if I were an event coordinator I would be fearful of promoting illegal activities and getting fined for it. Additionally, as an entrant I would fear DQ for not following the rules but that's just me. I think they would be well within their rights to do so.

Phunhog said:
Worse case scenario is that it breaks in transit and makes a mess. They aren't going to come afte you....especially since it is unmarked bottles.

I don't think the Feds or FAA would feel this way if liquid of an unknown origin was leaking from a package on an airplane in its cargo hold.... But again, I don't know much about that.

I don't think the Feds or FAA would feel this way if liquid of an unknown origin was leaking from a package on an airplane in its cargo hold.... But again, I don't know much about that.

You know I didn't think about that. Do you have to "declare" every liquid that is shipped via USPS?

Yeah, legally they are supposed to ask even if you go to Staples or Office Depot or places like that. The 2nd hand shippers tend to ask fewer questions. If I send USPS I vacuum seal all the bottles in food saver bags just because I'm scared to death something is gonna get on a plane and start leaking. Also vacuum sealing does a remarkable job of keeping the bottles from knocking together if they are in the same bag. It's still illegal and I'm not suggesting anyone do it.

The few times I did it, I said it was soda, only so they know what they are in for if they drop it or put it on a plane or whatever. Hopefully congress will pass the bill I heard about and all this will become a thing of the past but it has yet to be tabled for a vote as far as I know.

Latest posts

Back