Two batches @ one time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I am going to be moving in a few weeks so i probably wont be able to brew for a while so i was thinking about trying to get two brews done in one session. I am might start the second mash half way through my first boil, then drain once i pitch. That seems like a i might get myself into a mess though too much going on at once. Would it be possible to to re-mash/sparge the same grains and then maybe do a partial boil and add some extract? If so how would i calculate how much gravity i would be getting out of it how much extract to add?

tbulger said:
I am going to be moving in a few weeks so i probably wont be able to brew for a while so i was thinking about trying to get two brews done in one session. I am might start the second mash half way through my first boil, then drain once i pitch. That seems like a i might get myself into a mess though too much going on at once. Would it be possible to to re-mash/sparge the same grains and then maybe do a partial boil and add some extract? If so how would i calculate how much gravity i would be getting out of it how much extract to add?

Two things:

1) Your grains would be spent so that woudn't yield much. You'll need to start with fresh.

C) Take some vitamin B12 and good luck...:D

I brewed today, and truly, I spent alot of time just sitting around You could get your first one off to boil, and then start (fresh) with the second. By the time the boil is done, the mash would be about done. Sounds like it would work fine. Just have two different timers, and good notes.

I had a different approach to this process. Last Sunday I brewed one batch but for two different kind of beer. I brewed one Helles with OG 1.050 and one Kolsch with OG 1.042 as one batch. It was a so called PM. Did a usual mash in my 5g cooler for 12.5 pounds of grain with double decoction. My boiling vessel is only 8 gallons. So I boiled down to 6 g of wort and added 3 pounds of DME for last 30 minutes of boil. In the end I split concentrated wort in two fermenters one for Helles, one for Kolsch. Added some water to bring it up to desired volume and gravities. Both are happyly bubbling now. Helles in my frige, Kolsch in Garage @ 62F. Seem like a simpler option instead of two batches.

I'd consider it a great day to do two back to back brews!

have the mash going on one while your finishing up the boil on another......

I almost always brew two batches. I have two turkey fryer burner stands, and three 8gal kettles. What that means, for me at least, is that one can be AG, but the other has to be PM---all because, after I sparge the AG enough to get enough of the sugars off the grain bed, I end up with a starting wort volume that's a little too big for an 8 gallon kettle. So I have to split the AG up. What I'll do is put some of the wort into a smaller pot and put it on the side burner of my grill and boil the volume down while the rest of it boils in the main kettle on my fryer stand alongside the PM batch. It's a bit hodgepodge, and ideally I really need a 10 gallon kettle, but for now, it works. I figure, as long as I've committed half a day to brewing, I might as well get as much return on my investment as I can.

I just made the move to 10-gallon capacity. I had thought about doing a double-5. My household is drinking beer too fast to keep up with only 5-gallon sessions....

Back