New to using Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs467

Reaction score
I recently made a Belgian Ale (OG~1.058) and pitched WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend into the primary. 5 days have gone by with no change in the OG. I opened it up yesterday and noticed a few small white mold like things floating on top of the wort. WLP670 contains some Brett and I was wondering if this was just the Brett? I had a Wyeast 5112 I was saving for the secondary, but I decided to pitch it anyway. This morning I woke up and the airlock was bubbling every second. I have a few questions about what happened. What was this white "mold-like" thing floating on the wort? Is this common in fermentation's using Brett? If my initial pitching of WLP670 didn't take and I am left with a beer entirely fermented with Brett (Wyeast 5112), what will this be like?

Not sure if this has anything to do with the Brett or the lack of fermentation in your first five days, but it sounds like you have "yeast rafts" on the surface. Do a HBT search for yeast rafts. There are plenty of threads that discuss them.

I'm not sure if they are "yeast rafts". I have seen them before. These are a different. There are only a few of them and about the size of a tic-tac. What worries me is that they have a blueish tint in the center, like mold.

Unless it is hairy that sounds like brett. However, the real question you should be asking yoruself is why it took five days to show any activity. The sacc strain in it should have started within a day. Is it old?

The WLP670 wasn't old. No activity began until I added the Wyeast5112, so I am assuming that is doing the work and the WLP670 was just a dead batch.

Yeah almost sounds like the sacc died, but brett is pretty hardy and will happily feed off the sacc.

Brett takes at least three months to finish off the dextrins. I've had crazy pellicles, no pellicles, no visible signs etc... It's acted different in every wort and generation of use.

Back