Bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
I just bottled up my honey blonde about a week ago. I used 4.75 oz turbinado sugar. I took gravity readings one day and then two days later and they were the same. The final gravity read 1.008 (three hash marks below 1.000, but adjusted for temp). With these readings I thought it was done. However, a couple days ago I had one of my bottles explode... I am hoping it was a weak bottle or something. Do I need to be concerned about the others exploding? OG was 1.054 and it was in the fermentor for 4 weeks.

Nope. They have all been in a closet under our stairs. I thought they take longer than a week to carb up?

normally they would but either higher temps, abundant sugars, or an active yeast strain are making short work of the process ;). I would open another and see where the carbonation is and if it too seems fairly carbonated then put them into the fridgae for 24-48 hours and them move them to the cellar. Be careful you may want to envelope the bottle in a heavy towel and open it in the sink given your previous experience in case somethign has gone awry in the bottling process. Safety first... follwed by a cold beer ;)

Probably a bad bottle. I've bottled 30+ batches with 5oz of dextrose and just had my first bottle bomb. It was an Irish Red with an OG of 1.050 and a FG of 1.008. The bottom of the bottle blew clean out. No other bottles were affected (yet).

I have these 10G Sterilite containers with lids that I will throw those bottles into for quarantine. I think each container was about $3 to $5 at Walmart.

If I remember correctly the day it exploded was kind of a hot day so that may have been part of the issue.

I threw a couple in the fridge last night and am enjoying one right now. It is slightly carbonated, but not quite where I would want them. Some more time should hopefully help them carb up more

Glad to hear the rest of the batch is progressing normally.
I've experienced that in the past when one of my first AG batches where the mash and fermentation left a lot of sugars behind and they kept carbing in the basement and then I knocked one over accidentally one day and WHAMMO! It blew up and left a little chunk of glass in my left arm. Luckily it didn't need any stiches.

Glad to hear the rest of the batch is progressing normally.
I've experienced that in the past when one of my first AG batches where the mash and fermentation left a lot of sugars behind and they kept carbing in the basement and then I knocked one over accidentally one day and WHAMMO! It blew up and left a little chunk of glass in my left arm. Luckily it didn't need any stiches.

Yeah, I may mash a couple degrees lower the next time I do this recipe. I mashed at 154 because of the honey; thought that would dry it out quite a bit so I mashed at this temp. So far though from what I tasted last night I would like it a bit drier. We'll see how it tastes after some more time.

Back