Do you name your fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
I'm wondering...am I the ONLY one here who names their fermenters? I would LOVE to hear what you call your little buddies who help you make beer :cross:

I have four fermenter buckets and I call them Chuck-V, Viola, Crisco, and Herr Flick. :)

It makes it easier to remember what brew is in what fermenter if they have names, and it makes me feel less weird when I decide to have conversations with them and give them encouragement too. LOL

I call mine "this one" and "that one". They don't seem to mind.

"The one that needs cleaning", "The slightly melted bucket that I left too close to the burner", "The one with the spigot I never use"........Currently, The one that needs cleaning is not talking the one one with the spigot I never use. I think they fell out because I stacked one of them inside "Slut bucket" and got her pregnant. The one one with the spigot I never use can't get inside anyone as he has a spigot that gets in the way. I think it makes him grouchy.

Or, the short answer, NO I don't name my fooking fermenters! ;)

HAHAHA I knew there would be others! I don't guess I would look any more sane if I mentioned the fact that "Viola" is named after my deceased grandmother would it? :D ...perhaps I should just be quiet and go have beer now lol ;)

HAHAHA I knew there would be others! I don't guess I would look any more sane if I mentioned the fact that "Viola" is named after my deceased grandmother would it? :D ...perhaps I should just be quiet and go have beer now lol ;)

My conservative Mennonite grandmother Viola would turn over in her grave if I named a carboy after her.

The thought never occurred to me, but I just may have to come up with some names.

Candy, Lacey and Stupid Whore.

Just kidding... I don't name them. Kind of weird, but to each their own.

i haven't, but the 8 year old did.

she points to the plastic carboy and says, whats that, the Beer 1000

its now labelled, quite elegantly, with a sharpie as BEER 1000

Only for period of time when I had no girlfriend.

Summon a mental image of jgln masturbating with his fermenter. Your welcome!

I haven't found a reason to post THESE in a couple of years...Thanks for DISTURBINGLY giving me a reason.

motivator2903225.jpg

motivator7072222.jpg

my fermenter's name is the fermenter. my bottling bucket's name is the bottling bucket. although i don't have a secondary fermenter, i'd probably name that the secondary fermenter. :mug:

My favorite part is when they talk back. I like to sit in the ferm room when I have a couple of batches going and listen to the air locks bubble.
Now, for the part of the story he is not telling.

The room was dark. A sweet, musky smell tinged with sulfur permeated the air. Slowly, I walked to my fermenter. Then I heard it, the slow bubbling of the airlock. Unable to control myself, I bent over, placing my nose on the tip of the airlock, waiting expectantly for the next exhalation of sweet gas. It came. I sniffed. I (to be continued) :drunk:

A -possibly- less weird way of telling one fermenter from another is to just buy U.S. Plastics buckets, which are available with lids in your choice of colors. I ordered three of their 7 gallon buckets, and I call mine "the one with the red lid," etc.

The only piece of equipment I've named is my 5 gallon bourbon barrel. I named her Lucille...as in B.B. King's guitar. I take care of her, and she gives me beautifully barrel aged beer in return.

I didn't name the fermentors, but SWMBO named the kegerator "Richard Beerington the 4th" I call him Drinky Dick for short.

Back