Skunky odor but tastes fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I brewed a 9 gallon batch (at night) that I split into 2 glass carboys. I no-chill, so the batch was split into the 2 carboys the next day in daylight. Fermentation with s-05 was vigorous and left quite a mess on the glass above the liquid. I did use a swamp cooler with t-shirts to aid in cooling. At one week I added a flavor solution (peach or strawberry). After fermentation was done I stored them in the basement naked where light-bulb light could get to them, but not direct sunlight.

Three weeks into the process I bottled and they have a skunky odor.... pretty bad. But it tastes fine. It looks ok, it tastes like I imagined it would. I dont understand why its skunky. Hops were hallertaur hersbrucker and only added as a FWH addition. So any ideas on why a beer might (pre-bottle conditioning) smell skunky but taste ok?

Recipe was bascially 13 pounds 2 row and like 2 pounds crystal of some sort; a basic pale ale. Any thoughts appreciated.

I brewed almost the same recipe(twice). 5 gal batch-10lbs 2 row, 1 lb. cystal 10. S-05. Skunky (sulphury) smell both times. Fermented in a corny so no light issues. I will be interested to know why as well.
I'm wondering if I need to boil for longer than 60 mins to rid all DMS?

I dont think its DMS. this is the same smell that I get sometimes from euro-lagers in the green bottles. Just a skunky odor. How much light does it take to bring out that stank? Will bottle conditioning fix it?

I had 2 of these "skunky" beers last night. They aren't fully carbed, but the skunky odor is much much less intense than it was at bottling. I'm hoping that another 2 weeks in the bottle will knock it right out of the beer.

Back