I'm going to bottle in an antique bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
A tree in my front yard grew into my main water line. I had a company come out and install a new line. When they dug up the ground they found an intact Sun Crest soda bottle. The paint has long since worn off but the wording is still visible in the right light.

My house was built in 1965 and I believe Sun Crest ceased around that time too. It will be cool to put a bottle back to use that has been buried for ~45 years. It just so happens that I am bottling a SN Celebration clone tonight.

Just to be safe, I will let this bottle sit in a cooler while it carbs.

Probably stupid but it sounds fun to me. :ban:

The cooler is probably a good idea. No telling how structurally sound the bottle is after 45 years. If it works, it should be an interesting conversation piece. Will your bottle caps fit it?

45 years old an antique? .... Man, I'm feeling old all of a sudden. :(

Ahhh...lemme see here.....

It's a classic bottle. :p

I tested a cap and all seems well there. The bottle itself isn't spotless looking. I let it soak in brewvint alkaline wash for quite awhile which made a difference. I will still be amazed if this beer doesn't get infected. I'm just doing this for the 'cool factor' in my mind.

As fate would have it, SWMBO invited people over for a pool party so bottling isn't going to happen tonight. :(

IMG_6391.jpg

It has some obvious scratches. If anybody has any other suggestions on how to make it look better, I'm open since I'm not bottling today.

Well, I just got done bottling my Celebration clone. Time to see if the bottle will stay intact in the next few weeks.

BTW: I've not had Celebration in well over a year. Does the color look about right? My sample was awesome. :D
IMG_6392.jpg

Back