Anti-Bling High Lead Chinese Brass Dirty Cheap Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking build. I am currently in the design process for mine. I sure miss that part of AK! I lived on Wainwright for a few years...you would have happened to work out there by chance? I got a bunch of bottles from a homebrewer who only kegged when I was up there from the North Pole area...just thought it might have been you? Used them for a few years but now I too just keg way easier....thanks all the best. :mug:

Nice looking build. I am currently in the design process for mine. I sure miss that part of AK! I lived on Wainwright for a few years...you would have happened to work out there by chance? I got a bunch of bottles from a homebrewer who only kegged when I was up there from the North Pole area...just thought it might have been you? Used them for a few years but now I too just keg way easier....thanks all the best. :mug:

Must have been someone else, but there are quite a lot of homebrewers round here.

Finished the cart!

2010-11-28201924.jpg

2010-11-28201824.jpg

2010-11-28201759.jpg

Nice craftmanship! Maybe it's the photo, and not to nit pick, but a little stain or oil rub would bring out the beauty of your quality work...fine job!:mug:

I thought about it, but it's just 2x4's and deck screws. I hope to spill enough wort on it to give it a nice patina, but it's pretty rough around the edges. It's sturdy as hell, and square, but it's not exactly my finest piece of craftsmanship. Thanks for the kind words.

BTW I ripped off your bucket mill idea, works a dream.

hah! so any tally on the total cost so far?

Ooooh, I'm not sure I want to think about that :eek:

I guess technically since I built a five gallon AND a ten gallon system my total is inflated. As handy as you are, you should be able to put together a decent 5 gallon all grain system together for under $500.
You can get it down to dirt cheap if you want to use the stovetop method:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/
Basically all you need for the brewing part is a couple pots and a mesh bag. You'll still need to buy the stuff for fermenting and bottling, but that's pretty cheap.
I recommend buying the wife a ten gallon pot for christmas :D

Research Brew in a bag, cooler mash tuns, keggles, and just have a look around this site. If you know anyone who brews, I'm sure they'll be a huge help. Shoot me an email if you have any specific questions.

It can be daunting since there are a million different ways to do it, and everybody uses weird lingo that takes a while to learn. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

word! i'll do some reading. there's a home brew supply store near by so i will hit that up too! woot!

Did some testing on the revised 10 gallon system

Overview
DSC05400.jpg

Did a comparison of commercial ESB's to our home brewed version
DSC05416.jpg

DSC05401.jpg

This is the Hot Liquor Tank with 25' HERMS coil, 4500W element, TC probe, and analog thermometer. It has a bottom drain and a water supply valve on top with a garden hose fitting. Sightglass from Bobby M.
DSC05402.jpg

DSC05403.jpg

This is the mash tun with a Jaybird 15" hinged false bottom above a bottom drain, analog thermometer, Bobby M sight glass, and return port with silicone hose to float above the grainbed.
DSC05413.jpg

DSC05409.jpg

DSC05407.jpg

Here is the boil kettle. Shown is the diptube that will probably get shortened, Bobby M sight glass, and the 50' immersion chiller that used to be my HEX coil. Not shown is the 5500W heating element
DSC05412.jpg

DSC05414.jpg

Here's something else I'm pretty stoked about, I had a custom steam hood made out of stainless. Avert your eyes if you're bling intolerant.

DSC05419.jpg

DSC05418.jpg

DSC05417.jpg

It interferes with the sight glass mount, so I'll have to cut a slot for that.

What do you think, see any resemblance?
pic07tinman.jpg

First brewday on the upgraded version.

DEATH METAL VESSELS 2.0

Filling the HLT
100_4302.jpg

Heating the strike water while recirculating.
100_4298.jpg

100_4299.jpg

Mashing while circulating. I think I was beat boxing in this picture, not sure why I'm making that face.
100_4300.jpg

We pushed the mash tun to it's limits while brewing the Bourbon Vanilla Porter. 37 lb grain bill at over a quart per pound.
100_4301.jpg

Running off the first runnings into the Boil Kettle
100_4303.jpg

The steam hood worked like a champion. Once we got a good boil rolling, it drafted without the need for a booster fan.
100_4305.jpg

100_4306.jpg

Boiling on manual mode at 60% 5500w elements kick out serious heat.
100_4307.jpg

Chilling the boiled wort.
100_4308.jpg

Didn't get a picture of racking to the fermentor/aerating/pitching, but you know what that looks like.

Yep, I've never fly sparged a single batch, yet I own 3 pumps. Maybe I should give it a go, but I'm pretty happy with 75% efficiency.

Yep, I've never fly sparged a single batch, yet I own 3 pumps. Maybe I should give it a go, but I'm pretty happy with 75% efficiency.

i thought i was crazy for a second :) i use to batch sparge but i would hate to go back- i use a super fancy sparge manifold... a piece of aluminum foil over my mash :cross: after the rest, recirc for 10 min, crystal clear wort, sparge for 20 min and works like a charm- thats just me though whatever works for you :rockin:

awesome build by the way :mug:

I know this is an old post but I have to say one thing. YOU GUYS ARE TAKING ALL MY MONEY. I started off looking at the keezer built, of course I like the coffin one. Then I found this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/backyard-brewpub-126041/, on building a bad ass brew pub, now I see this one for building a brewing system. If I click on one more link I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for it all. But you know what? I'll have a bad arse setup when I'm done, from start to finish. :rockin:

with the steam hood on how do you add the hops and monitor for boils overs love it has possibilities

Back